We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of 6 Day Fall 2913 Trip to Ruidoso, N.M.

Which Ruidoso hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Review of 6 Day Fall 2913 Trip to Ruidoso, N.M.

Fall trip - October 2013 - to Riodoso

This was a much-needed 6 day trip to enjoy the beautiful mts of New Mexico. We drove about 3 hours from our home in Texas to Midland, TX to spend time and overnight with our good friend.

The next morning we left early as we still had about 8 hours to go. We stopped for a meal at the Cowboy Cafe in Roswell, NM, where we had eaten before. It was really good and service was fast. I had the green chile omelet with biscuits, gravy and a side of bacon. Will had the Cowboy Plate. I couldn’t eat half of mine, but that was enough to last me for the rest of the day!

The only negative things I could say is to check the number of people eating here, and it's REALLY busy on Saturdays. We ate here going back and took about an hour.

We got to Riodoso and stayed at the Shadow Mt Lodge/Cabins where we had stayed before. It has changed hands a couple of times, and we were hoping it would still be the same quality as before. Since it was autumn we got a deal with the 4th night “free”. We like these cabins because there is a kitchenette where you can really cook, and a fireplace. A celling fan, good TV and VCR and a couple of chairs on the front porch where you can enjoy the wildlife if it’s the right time of year. There are plates and bowls for 2 people (the cabins are for two adults) and 3 each of the utensils. There was a frying pan and two sauce pans. I made bacon and eggs for breakfast and a pan of chile one night. Will grilled sausage outside on the community grill, so we enjoyed not having to eat every meal out - unless we chose to. We will definitely stay here again.

We ate at the irish Pub - I think it was Grace O’Malley’s and the food was tasty. We had lunch at the Cornerstone Bakery one day - everything was excellent. And one evening, we sat in the Lounge at the Inn of the Mt Gods enjoying the great view of the mountains and the water. We ordered cocktails, but then had chicken salad croissants and french fries with some other complimentary nibbles, so we were pleased. We were disappointed in the guitarist who was surprised by two of his buddies, so he spent a lot of time interacting with them and we lost interest in the music.

We drove to Ida Lou, TX - close to Lubbock - where there was supposed to be a large Apple Festival - I found it on the internet. Well, the date and time was right when we got there, but not a Texas apple in sight. Only apples available from Spring on had been from Washington State! What a disappointment as we were planning to pick quite a lot of apples. We thought that the web site should have been updated and that advertisement of an Apple Festival was close to being a downright lie!

We planned to stay in Slaton, TX after having a great Mexican dinner there, but it was full because of a rodeo in Post. So we drove on through Post (also full) and found the Purple Sage Motel in Syder. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor (as usual) and the positive reviews were spot on. I was amazed at the quality of the sheets which were ironed too and the bed made properly. The towels were good quality as was the toilet paper! The room was updated but spotless and the TV was like ours at home. And the WIFI worked pretty good. Don’t judge this motel by the outside. It was great for an overnight.

We will go back to Riodoso, but hope to spend next October in Michigan!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of 6 Day Fall 2913 Trip to Ruidoso, N.M.

Glad you enjoyed the Ruidoso trip. I noticed that even though these are return trips to places like the Cowboy Cafe in Roswell (my old stomping grounds) and the Shadow Mtn. Lodge that you've yet to write a review for them. Forums fade away pretty quickly so I hope you'll take a moment to share with others your thoughts about these places. I rely on TA reviews a lot and hope people keep writing them.

2. Re: Review of 6 Day Fall 2913 Trip to Ruidoso, N.M.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Ruidoso