We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at game lodge

Lafayette...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping at game lodge

How much is appropriate to tip at a game lodge?

16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping at game lodge

Enkoveni has a tipping box at reception. Some lodges not Enkoveni give a recommended daily rate for guide and tracker in their information pack. At Inyati in Sabi it was R200 per day for guides and R100 for tracker. At one another lodge in Timbavati the recommended rat e in their info pack had us all reeling with shock, needless to say we ignored it. At Enkoveni one of the guides Shaun who also with Sidwell does the game drives is the manager and at Naledi Bush Camp, Kjell the owner does the drives. I don’t believe it is the custom to tip owners or managers. We have recently stayed (September) at Enkoveni, a truly wonderful setting, you will love it. Last year we did Bush Camp - great value guest experience. Kjell has got it right!

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping at game lodge

thanks..

its agony the wait...

I think its just a british thing tipping! glad you loved enkovi camp....

have you seen that a camera will be operated at a waterhole in Naledi?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping at game lodge

Kjell came over from Bush Camp to pay us a visit. He did mention the camera and is debating 2 spots the other at Enkoveni near the river. We had mentioned the 4 of us had been to Tembe elephant reserve this trip and went into their hide where their webcam is located. The scenes at the waterhole via the webcam had us deciding a stay at Tembe was a must on this trip.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tipping at game lodge

Lucky you moving around! We are just staying for 5 nights at Enkovi

Can't wait!

Johannesburg, South...
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Tipping at game lodge

I would like to differ on the tipping of tracker and a guide the same price,i have worked as a guide and i do appreciate the service of a tracker,pointing out tracks can never be matched as the guides interpretation,hosting skills after game drives,considering how expensive it is for a guide to have that kind of information,stories,study packs,exam fees,association fees,drivers licences and other tourism related fees,i think the guide deserves way more than the tracker,you must remember a tracker cannot do the guides job but a guide can do a trackers job,some game lodges they have guides doing both so a tracker is not really necessary if you are a qualified guide.Again its up to the guest but if in your eyes see the tracker as equaled to the guide then the guide was very bad

16. Re: Tipping at game lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 16:35

Reply to: Tipping at game lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Londolozi Private Game...