We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Londolozi in June

Toronto
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Londolozi in June

My wife and I are planning a trip to Londolozi for June 2014.

Which lodge would you recommend for adults looking to avoid families with children?

We were also wondering just how cold we can expect nights and morning game drives to be?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Londolozi in June

Hi rpgold,

The 2 Londolozi lodges that don't allow kids under 16, unless the whole lodge is booked out are Tree Camp, and Private Granite Suites. Varty Camp and Founders are probably not a good option for your needs, and Pioneer may be worth considering, but to the best of my knowledge they do take kids.

As for the weather, mornings and evenings are chilly, and the morning drives are probably chillier than evenings until the sun comes up and days are generally warm and beautiful.

I hope this answers your question adequately.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Toronto
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Londolozi in June

Thank you for your feedback.

Would we need to bring heavy jackets, long underwear, etc. for the morning drives? As Canadians, we have plenty of winter weather clothes. Would the morning drives be in sub-zero temps until sunrise?

Thanks again.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Londolozi in June

Hi rpgold,

You are very welcome!

You would probably need to bring warm jackets, vests, sweaters, beanies but definitely dress in layers so that you can strip down when it warms up. With the wind-chill from the moving vehicle, its very chilly and maybe close to sub-zero temps Celcius. The lodge provides blankets, and hot water bottles on the vehicles for morning drives.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

Edited: 18 November 2013, 17:19
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Londolozi in June

If you've decided on Londolozi, I wouldn't hesitate contacting them. They are very popular and it's not unusual for them to be booked up many months out.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Londolozi in June

Londolozi has five camps. Varty camp and the Founders camp allow children. So, stay away from these two camps.

I recommend the Granite camp. They only have 3 suits in this camp. It is the most private, but also the most expensive of the five camps.

We stayed at Londolozi this past July. I don't think it is necessary to bring heavy jackets or long underwear etc. We wore jeans, long sleeve shirts or sweatshirts, and windbreaker type of jackets.

Londolozi had blankets in their jeeps, and hot water bags to keep us warm. Once the sun came out, it did get warm.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Londolozi in June

Here's the weather chart for this past June:

accuweather.com/en/…

Bedfordview...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Londolozi in June

Good Day

I agree with the above however we have been experiencing some unusual weather this year, we were at Sabi Sands in June this year and it was extremely cold in the mornings, in fact we had taken our ski thermals with and wore these under our clothing this worked well to insulate us, then as the morning progressed it did become warmer , so keep a look out closer to the time and the beauty of thermals is they are light and do not take up much packing space.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Londolozi in June

It is not unusual to experience cold morning game drives in the Sabi Sands during June, July & August, so I would definitely pack in those warm jackets, gloves, etc! You are going to love Londolozi, no matter which of their lodges you choose. Tom Imrie, one of their rangers has just won the Africa Direct/FGASA Safari Guide of the Year competition. He is a great ranger, and you might even be lucky enough to bump into him while you're there. Enjoy your safari!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Londolozi in June

We LOVED Londolozi! We stayed in Tree Camp - no kids allowed. It was fabulous. You can read all about our adventures on our blog www.inandoutofafrica.ca Just scroll down to the Londolozi sections. There is also a section about packing which you may find useful. You will want layers for sure. I highly recommend a down vest.

Enjoy!

Reply to: Londolozi in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Londolozi Private Game...