We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mala Mala details requested

New York City, New...
3 posts
Mala Mala details requested

We will be staying at Sable Camp at Mala Mala in April with 6 adults and 4 children (ages 9 to 14). We would appreciate as much detailed information about the camp as possible such as: the quality and variety of food (some of us are picky eaters), access to bottled water (necessary for teeth brushing too?), the pools (chlorinated?), activities when not on safari, mosquito protection (assume there are excellent condition nets around beds?), Sable Camp specifics, suggestions for things to bring with us, etc. Do you ever feel unsafe around the animals while on safari or at camp? We are excited about this trip (also includes Victoria Falls Hotel, Cape Grace and Shamwari) but given travelling with children would like to be as prepared as possible for the trip of a lifetime. Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Mala Mala details requested

Hello

As a senior member of the tourism industry in southern Africa, I am a little concerened as to your questions. Have you booked your vacation through an agent or operator ? If so they are responsible to answer these questions and all you have in regard to your time in Africa. Ciao. Colin J. FRYER, Cape Town

New York City, New...
3 posts
2. Re: Mala Mala details requested

Thank you for your reply. Yes we have booked through a very reputable agent and they are very forthcoming with information. As I often read candid reviews from Trip Advisor for additional research when planning a trip, I hoped that the forum would be helpful in getting accurate information from tourists who have already stayed in Mala Mala and have already experienced what we are about to...No cause for concern! We are in very good hands.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Mala Mala details requested

Delighted to hear this. I hope you do hear from Mala Mala visitors with their experiences. Enjoy your time here in southern Africa, you have a wonderful itinerary covering a good number of our iconic destinations. Shamwari excells in conservation, Mala Mala is within one of our best Reserves to view cats and then Cape Town ( The Mother City ) with SO much to do and then Victoria Falls where the Falls rates as one of The places to visit. Your children will absolutely love, learn and absorb each and every moment. Ciao. Colin J. FRYER.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
4. Re: Mala Mala details requested

I would make sure Mala Mala are aware of any dietary requirements and food dislikes before you get there. http://www.malamala.com/usefulinfo.htm

They also talk about the water on this page.

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Mala Mala details requested

My family stayed 18 months ago and had a tremendous time. My kids were 12 and 14 at the time. Accommodation is really excellent. It is five star. Your ranger dines with you and walks you to your lodge at night. No problem with bottled water etc. It's all there for you. Pool is beautiful. Chlorinated I think but spotless and safe. My kids found themselves falling asleep on the game drives as we were up so early. Take some warm clothes as it gets chilly before the sun rises. My son had his birthday when we were there and they baked a cake. Lovely! You have a 5* trip coming up. Take plenty of camera memory cards!

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Mala Mala details requested

Forgot to say you will love Vic Falls. Loads to do there. You will spend a fortune. The main company is Shearwater adventures. The sunset cruise is lovely and leisurely but everything else is for nutters!

New York City, New...
3 posts
7. Re: Mala Mala details requested

Thank you SO much for your note. It's great to hear directly from someone who has stayed there. I am very excited but just a little concerned about how the kids are going to hold up after such a long journey so it's great to hear that the accommodations and experience will be as wonderful and comfortable as we are hoping they will be.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Mala Mala details requested

Well, somewhere in the conversations with your agent, he (or she) forgot to mention that all of those answers are his (or her) responsibility. Except the dining. Pickiness is 100% subjective, and only those picky ones can decide whether the food is suitable - for them. And no, I don't think you'll find anyone active on these forums who is afraid of the animals. The animals are why we go there.

Get answers to your questions about Mala Mala Private Game...
More Mala Mala Private Game Reserve Topics