We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

so we were booking our trip to SA for Oct of 2013 when we had the unpleasant surprise of being told that the Singita Boulders was already booked for part of our 4 night stay. We are trying to arrange it with a trip from PTA to CT on the rovo train. Should we book a different lodge, consider taking the rovo to Vic Falls instead or change our dates?? My heart was set on the Boulder lodge for a once in a life time get away with my wife. Am I being silly as I suspect we would be as happy somewhere else, or should we change our dates and try to book what I perceive would be an outrageous experience at the Boulders. The Singita web site is no help as far as trying to find availabilty. Are they already booked?

7 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
562 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

Have you tried calling them or sending an email. Have you considered Singita Ebony or a combination Boulders and Ebony?. The two lodges are very close together and you could spilt your time (not ideal but doable).

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

While the Singita lodges are all highly recommended, there are also many others that would give you a wonderful and very luxurious safari experience! Examples of lodges that you could consider are: Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge, Londolozi Tree, Pioneer or Granite, Lion Sands Ivory Lodge, Exeter Leadwood Lodge.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

I have visited MANY of the top game lodges in South Africa and I have to say that, out of all of them, Boulders is my favourite. The design of the lodge, the food, wine, service, rangers and game viewing were all outstanding and I would certainly try to stay there if you can. You could try contacting a local operator to see what they can do for you if you are having difficulty with your planning.

I do think though that the EH10014 has a given you a good suggestion as you will be just as well looked after at Ebony. You may also want to consider one of the Singita lodges in the Kruger Park (Lebombo or Sweni) in combination with Boulders. Singita will include a flight between the two if you do this and it will give you two very different experiences in terms of game viewing, scenery and accommodation. These lodges have a stunning location!

There are alternatives to Singita. Though I have not visited these lodges myself, many well informed people on this forum also recommend the Granite suites at Londolozi and Lion Sands Ivory.

Good luck with planning your trip. I really do believe that whatever you decide upon, you will have the experience of a lifetime.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

I had a similar issue earlier this year when I was booking for next August - my chosen lodge was already taken for part of our dates. I had to reorganise our itinerary so that we visited it at a different stage of the trip.

However, I did find a UK travel agency that appeared to show realtime online availability at many of the lodges. That agency is currently showing that Singita Boulders is fully booked for the nights of 7-9 October 2013 and 21-24 October 2013 inclusive. The rest of the month shows good availability.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

Thank You all so much. South Africa has an embarrassment of excellent game lodges in Krueger and Sabi Sands. I appreciate all the input. Special thanks to Sandy40 who pointed out the availability in mid Oct. I couldn't make the Singita calendar work so had no idea that I could tweek my dates. Thank you all again

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

I was torn between Ivory and Boulders but now after too much thought went to Boulders or Lebombo- like the look and the lap pool. Ivory seemed more hotel-ish to me but clean and pretty. Is that how it is in real life? Any advice?? They all seem great, this is driving me crazy. Leaning towards Singita more than Ivory.

Thanks!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: struggling on where to stay in sabi sands

Ivory? This would be Ivory Lodge in the Lion Sands Reserve? It is indeed clean, pretty, unique in some ways. Your huge 'bedroom' is in one structure, the living area is separate. These are separated by a breezeway that leads toward the infinity pool. For luxury, I would choose it over Singita Boulders.

Dave Patterson - The Africa Safari

Reply to: struggling on where to stay in sabi sands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Singita Private Game...
More Singita Private Game Reserve Topics