We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hippos

London Ontario
Level Contributor
615 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hippos

Will we be able to view hippos while at thornybush game reserve?

Thank you.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hippos

You will certainly catch a glimpse of them but unless you are lucky it will just be a big pair of eyes and twirling ears. We always see them there but have never been lucky enough to see them out of the water. Have seen them out of the water many times whilst self-driving in Kruger though.

London Ontario
Level Contributor
615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hippos

Somersetal - Thank you for your response. You have given me hope!

I'd reather see a pair of eyes and twirling ears than no hippo at all. This is probably the animal we most hope to see so we'll at least be on the lookout!

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hippos

There are a couple of small dams (lakes), one in particular is a favourite place for the rangers to stop for sundowners and we have often seen them at that time. Just mention to your ranger that you particularly want to see hippos and they really will do their best for you. Which lodge are you staying at in Thornybush ? Main Lodge or one of the smaller ones ?

London Ontario
Level Contributor
615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hippos

We are staying at Jackalberry Lodge for two nights and from there move to Camp Jabulani for two nights. I'm hoping we'll see hippos somewhere. I'll definitely ask the rangers and maybe they can track one down for us!

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hippos

OK, you will have a great time there. Don't know the ranger at Jackalberry, We usually stay at n'Kaya which is even smaller than Jackalberry with only 4 chalets. You are as certain as you can be with wild animals of seeing lions, there are two prides residing in Thornybush. A couple of years ago a female cheetah made her way into the reserve and took up residence, even better she was pregnant and last time we were there we saw about 10 cheetahs. We also had quite a close encounter with one of the black rhino and we have only once missed visiting and seeing leopards. So get your camera at the ready !! enjoy your trip.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hippos

Just to rubb it in (in the unlikely event you will not see hippo). We saw lots in KNP on our recent trip. They were like giving us a show.

outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/…

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

London Ontario
Level Contributor
615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hippos

Somersetal - your post has made me very excited about this trip. I have visions of travelling 22 hours and seeing nothing! My daughter wants to see zebras and giraffes the most....we know for certain we'll see elephants since we're staying at Jabulani, and my husband wants to see leopards, cheetahs and rhinos...especially rhinos.

Sounds like we have a good chance of seeing most! Now I need to sharpen my photography skills. I just bought a Canon T2i so I'm going to take a couple of courses before we come to make sure I know how to use it.

Abangane - what an incredible hippo photo! I'll be totally jealous if I don't see one. You were very lucky!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hippos

I am sure you will see it all (the whole familiy will be satisfied) being in such a nice reserve.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hippos

Klaus - second that about the hippo photo, fantastic !! We have usually been lucky just before entering Kruger at Paul Kruger Gate with a large pod in the river by the bridge there and have seen them wandering around out of the water but never managed to take a photo of their tonsils !!!

sgb - Again, as certain as you can be with animals, you will see girafffe, zebra, wildebeest, warthogs, definately rhino both white and black, elephants, cape buffalo, wide variety of antelope - they did introduce a herd of eland into the reserve and we were quite looking forward to seeing them again but apparently the lions decided they fancied them - thats nature for you !!

They will certainly try and find leopard for you and we have been incredibly lucky every time except the last visit. Just mention any particular animals you want to see and the ranger will do his best, as many people only seem interested in the Big 5 they tend to concentrate on those but if one of the family want to see giraffe or zebra let him/her know. One thing I can be absolutely certain of is that you wont travel for 22 hours and see nothing. I have been doing it for 15 years (Zimbabwe for 5 and then SA for 10) and I still get a huge thrill when we are sat maybe 10 feet away from a pride of lions or sat in the open jeep gazing up at the elephants, again, a few feet away.

You will have a ball !!!

London Ontario
Level Contributor
615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hippos

Wow...now I can hardly contain myself. I love to travel but have never been so excited for any trip. We love wildlife so this will be amazing.

Any tips on where to sit in the jeep? I've heard the very back is bumpy and that you don't hear what the ranger says. Is this true?

Should we bring binoculars?

Get answers to your questions about Thornybush Private...