We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kruger national park with young children

bury
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
kruger national park with young children

I am looking to visit kruger national park next easter with my wife and 2 children aged 4 and 7. Is this a good idea? Has anyone any experience of visiting the park with children around this age? I will be staying at the Sabi River Sun resort near Hazyview for a fortnight and was thinking of visiting the park with the kids..

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kruger national park with young children

Aflynn,

I can't imagine that kids that age wouldn't love Kruger! So MANY animals!

David

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kruger national park with young children

Hi,

The Kruger National Park is THE premier self-drive safari destination in South Africa, with an unbeatable variety of wildlife and habitats to explore, an excellent infrastructure of roads and accommodation, and a feeling of huge, wide-open spaces - so I am sure your children would love it !

Self-drive in Kruger is a wonderful experience - the thrill of driving along a road by yourself and coming across a pride of lions basking under a nearby tree, or waiting at a peaceful waterhole and having a sighting all to yourself is hard to beat.

Inside the Park, there is an excellent infrastructure of roads, some of which are tarred, others gravel. Good, clear signposts and maps help to make the driving experience easy and enjoyable. Drivers must remain on the roads at all times, and are NOT allowed to drive off-road or get out of their vehicles, except at designated viewing points.

However, Kruger and the surrounding area, including Hazyview, IS a malarial area, so you will have to take malaria precautions - not sure how you would feel about your children taking this medication ? You would need to ask your doctor's advice as to which malaria tablets would be best for you.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kruger national park with young children

We are planning to take our 4 year old in February, so I can not offer any advice at this point. The 4 year old is excited, but I am more so. Many friends have said I should wait until the child is older and will have better memories of the trip. My counter is that this trip is not about my son's memories, it is about my memories of taking him to Kruger at this age.

New Haven
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kruger national park with young children

We visited with our 4 year old last year. 3 days of driving ourselves and staying in Kruger. It was fantastic. Just a little rental car-- nothing special. Had been given "The Getaway Guide to Where to Watch Game in the Kruger national Park" by Nigel Dennis. Basic, but fine for what we needed. Also had been loaned a couple of animal guides-- which I highly recommend, so you can learn about (and in some cases decipher) what you are watching. We also had plenty of coloring books, toys and a portable DVD player, as we really had planned (and did) log about 8h daily in the car. If you want to break up the day with time in camp (pool etc.) then could bring less, but there was a good bit of quiet time spent searching.

Boston, USA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: kruger national park with young children

I am planning to visit kruger national park in March, 2009 with my 2 and half year old. Is this a good idea? Any advice.

6. Re: kruger national park with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...