We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

After our first experience of africa in Kenya this month we are eager to try a trip to cover Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal to combine game with historical interests. Can anyone advise a UK based agent that could put together a reasonable plan for us to pay in sterling. Please note we are NOT travellers on an unlimited budget so luxury operators not likely to be for us.

Hope everyone on this forum as friendly and helpful as we found those on the Kenya to be as it made our trip having useful info.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

Would you be prepared to do a self-drive tour? Do you want it all sorted out for you or are you prepared to do some of the planning and booking yourselves?

Both of these are worth thinking about as the tourist infrastructure in SA makes this easy. Having lived in Kenya and travelled widely in SA, I believe a DIY trip to SA could be the way to go if you want to get the best from your budget. What do you think?

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

I enjoy the planning and sorting of a trip and would be very happy with self drive if we knew we were renting a good safe vehicle as hate being restricted to the confines of coach trips etc, my husband is the main driver and has shown some concern over the negative reports of driving in SA but he realises there are 2 sides to many reports.

I have walking problems at times so it is good to be able to control our itinerary. I was fortunate to spend a week in Capetown a few years back and loved it but want to appreciate the diversity of a country but working within a budget, I like the chance to swim at some places as it does my arthritis no end of good, like comfort but dont need luxury, small and friendly has always been the best we find.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

Check out the forums and you will see that most tourists who self drive through SA have found it a pleasant and rewarding experience. What areas in Kzn to you want to travel to and I will assist you where I can?

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

Thank you for advice ... just looking at some prices though I think its going to be impossible to achieve this trip and have at least 15 nights away within our budget of 5k, pretty sad really, wish I was fit enough to do more basic accomodation it all seems pretty daunting with where to look. Places i do look at all seem to be abour £600 a night before we even get there?

Strangely have travelled a lot worldwide but this is the first time I havnt known where to start

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

When you say 600 pounds per night before you even get there, where do you have to stay before arriving at your destination. I am pretty sure you can do the trip but you need to elaborate more so that we can help you?

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

KZN offers both game reserves and places of historical interest. The majority of the game reserves are situated in the north of the province within the Elephant Coast district.iMfolozi/Hluhluwe Game Reserve (Shaka Zulus old hunting ground) is by far the largest of the game reserves together with Mkuzi,Itala and Thembe plus a few private game reserves.The iMfolozi offers the BIG 5 including black and white rhino.

The history covers both the Anglo-Zulu war (Rorke's Drift being the most famous),Zulu culture and the Zulu wars around the Battlefields area.Shaka's Kraal,Dingaans Kraal and Gingingdlovu near Eshowe

We can advise on a self drive trip or a guided tour.

ivanfacer

Anna's St Lucia

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

For 5k hubby and I could manage 3 or 4 weeks in SA.

We can certainly get flights for circa £600 each and a car for £300 for two weeks. That still leaves you £3500, nearly £300 per night. Take off £1000 for two nights for two in Motswari, that still leaves £200ish per night.

There is a wealth of accommodation in SA aimed at SA residents. Clean, comfortable and serviceable hotels, guest houses and self-catering accommodation close to sights of interest or in the parks. R700 per night would get you a pleasant 2 or 3 bedded wheelchair accessible bungalow in Lower Sabie, a great rest camp inside the Kruger park itself. You could self-cater or eat at a reasonable rate in the restaurant. You can book game drives with the parks board for less than R200 each although it is perfectly easy to drive around yourself. I'm sure you get the idea! Similar things apply in KZN parks such as Hluhluwe.

In KZN, guest houses could be the answer to your problems. Don't think Ramsgate/Cleethorpes! In SA, they are usually very well appointed with good facilities, excellent food and wine plus great owners. In fact the latter are usually a great source of local info and will often help you organise trips and tours to historical sites and points of local interest.

Don't give up. It CAN be done! We have travelled widely with my 80+ year old mother and until recently my mother in law in a wheel chair. There is plenty of parking at sites - bit american in that respect as generally people in SA drive right there in the car.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

Chat to Bushkid0 on here.My wife and I asked him to design a safari, from Pretoria/Loskop Dam,Kruger/Swaziland/St Lucia then 3 days in the Battlefields area taking in Ulundi/Isandlwana/Rorke's Drift/Blood River/and Spion Kop.Then hiking in the Drakensberg.Didima in the Drakensberg is a stunning scenic resort.

17 days at a range of lodges, and tented chalets.All accom , most meals, entrance fees, guide/driver.Elephant charges are unexpected optionals.

ZAR19650 per person .

We thoroughly enjoyed every minute.And we came away with a deeper understanding of South Africa's history.

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

Getting quite excited as I find out more, think for our first trip concentrating on the Kwai-Zulu Natal area for all the variety could be a good move, still check and research befor deciding.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Motswari Game Reserve & KwaZulu-Natal

Glad to hear you haven't given up. Do post again when you have firmed things up a bit. There is a lot to be said for concentrating on KZN. After 20 years we're still finding plenty to do.

Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...