We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timbavati wildlife

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Timbavati wildlife

Kings Camp - in the Timbavati Reserve - has some excellent photos of recent sightings: www.kingscamp.com/blog/index.php…

This isn't a plug for Kings Camp - it's just one of the numerous good places to stay in Timbavati. This is a plug for the wildlife! Just to show you don't have to be in Sabi Sand to have good sightings.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Balule Nature...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timbavati wildlife

Nice pictures indeed!

Then again, for R4600 per person one can expect to see good game. For that price it is almost a must.

Cheers,

Corné.

-owner/manager Amukela Game Lodge-

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
938 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timbavati wildlife

I agree - for that kind of money you can spend 10 days in some of the SANparks camps!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timbavati wildlife

I think both of the previous posters have missed Bwanadave's point completely.

Firtstly, the price tag does not always guarantee good sightings or the lack thereof. I've had exceptional sightings at budget operations as well as five star lodges.

You cannot spend 10 days in a SANparks camp for that kind of money and have even a remotely comparable experience (just your conservation fee would cost R1800.00, your fuel another whack, and the camping accommodation you could then get for the remainder would not include four 5-star meals a day and game drives).

Bwanadave was comparing the TIMBAVATI wildlife opportunities with those of comparable reserves in the same area. Kings Camp just happens to be a 5-star lodge. I spend a few nights in the Timbavati this past week at low key lodges, and our sightings were excellent.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timbavati wildlife

OK. Where would you stay Bushkid? Suppose for the sake of comparison you have a week and could either camp or Lodge but on a modest budget than King's Camp. (I would want my own personal Leopard to take home for that kind of money!!)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Timbavati wildlife

I thought Dave's point was straightforward - it is only others who have changed the perspective. As Bushkid pointed out, to me too the point was that despite the publicity of a lot of agents on here and on the lodges' own websites, there is little difference in wildlife, between the more expensive Sabi Sand Reserve and Timbavati. Fairly straightforward and I think most people would probably agree.

In fact you could also add the adjacent regions of Kruger National Park to this. As the lodges in these two private reserves are always quick to point out, there are no fences between Sabi Sand or Timbavati and Kruger. The wildlife is the same and is free to move between them. So as, of course, no private lodge would ever use tactics, such as feeding, to keep animals (even Leopards) on their own traversing areas then there should be no difference! Why has the cost of staying in particular accommodation got anything to do with the wildlife seen nearby? Maybe one ranger is better than another in finding animals (or responding to the others on the radio) or is probably better than a first time self-driver inside Kruger. But this doesn't change the animals that are there, or that all the visitors will have unique wildlife experiences.

One thing I would probably caution against in Dave's post, would be basing what wildlife is found in the area of a particular reserve or lodge, on the pictures on the website!

Every single lodge, reserve or National Park in Africa has fantastic animal photos on their website. Unless they actually point out (as in this case) they are on the property they don't even need to be so. You will find plenty of lodges hundreds of kilometres apart using the same internet “stock” Lion, Leopard or Cheetah photographs! But anyway they all have super pictures.

In fact any safari park or zoo in Europe of America which keeps animals on a bit of open land can, with a good photographer, get great pictures of their animals to post on their website!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timbavati wildlife

LOL Mfuwe,

Camping in Kruger is awesome (particularly at Lower Sabie and Satara, IMO), but there's such a good range of accommodation in Kruger that you're spoilt for choice.

I generally don't do the Sabi Sands bit, preferring the lodges in the Timbavati, Klaserie and Balule areas.

The lodges I like are as follows (and I'm using their published rates, which also vary according to season; these should be used as a guideline):

Below R2000.00 pppn

Shindzela (www.shindzela.co.za)

Gomo Gomo (www.gomogomo.co.za)

Africa on Foot (www.africaonfoot.com) - original camp and new Nthambo Camp

Pondoro (www.pondoro.co.za)

Between R2000.00 and R3000.00

Kapama Karula tented camp (www.kapama.co.za)

Kapama Buffalo Camp (www.kapama.co.za)

Kambaku (www.kambaku.co.za)

Umlani Bushcamp (www.umlani.com)

Above R3000.00

Kapama Lodge (www.kapama.co.za)

Motswari (www.motswari.co.za)

These are usually sharing rates, but sometimes a single supplement does not apply.

There are a number of Thornybush lodges that I haven't checked out yet, and they tend to fall in the same categories. Hopefully I'll get to see them next week.

I have my own personal preferences amongst these lodges, but this is just an overview of SOME lodges that I think offer good value (not by any means a comprehensive list).

Edited: 06 March 2011, 10:28
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timbavati wildlife

Thanks BK. I have copied em all down. Not used to that many.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timbavati wildlife

Thanks to Bushkid for the list of other lodges.. And yes, those photos reflect what wildlife was, on those days, hanging around Kings Camp. But, as noted, my point is to deflect some of the focus on Sabi Sand, when Timbavati is also a rich area for wildlife. And there are a number of good options for lodging that don't break the budget.

9. Re: Timbavati wildlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2016, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...