We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Knysna to Shamwari-should i stay PE

london
Level Contributor
19 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Knysna to Shamwari-should i stay PE

Hi,

I am staying at Plettenberg and Knysna mid April.

I intended to stay in PE for 1 night to and then drive to Shamwari. My agent has said this is pointless and better to have another night in Knysna or Plettenberg, and drive it. He says it will take 3.5 hours.

Is that realistic. I don't want to set off before say 8-9am and don't want to miss the 1st game drive-especially given price i will be paying at Shamwari!

Any advice gratefully received.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Knysna to Shamwari-should i stay PE

game lodges typically want you to arrive at lunchtime, say midday. Knysna is about 3.5 hours from Shamwari so you will have to leave at about 0830. I also agree that an overnight in PE is not necessary & you would be better off with the extra night in Knysna/Plett.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Knysna to Shamwari-should i stay PE

Agree with AfColl (and your agent) that Knysna to Shamwari is an easy morning drive. The N2 is a freeway level road for most of the way and by mid April most of the upgrade roadworks should have finished. Although it looks, on the map, that PE might hold you up, the N2 bypasses the city centre and, mid-morning you should just drive straight through.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Knysna to Shamwari-should i stay PE

The drive is at least 4 hours and not 3 1/2. It is probably 4 1/2 to 5 hours, if you add in the time it takes to get out of Knysna and a stop at Storms River Bridge.

I wouldnt stay further away than Tsitsikamma.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Knysna to Shamwari-should i stay PE

PS Shamwari has a town house in Port Elizabeth, that you might get at a discount, if you are staying at their game reserve.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Knysna to Shamwari-should i stay PE

Sorry lamlee, I agree with VDC and AfColl. Also if you are driving from Plettenberg to Shamwari, then that will save you 30 mins driving. I remember taking around 4 hours from Knysna to Lalibela (very close to Shamwari).

I would recommend visiting Storm's River from Plet, and after that there is not a lot to stop for. So leaving Plet at 9am, will mean you get there for lunch, some relaxation time and then your first game drive!

PE is a very friendly town, great beaches, but also quite industrial (the company I work for have a factory here). Much better to have an extra night in Knysna or Plet.

Lisa

6. Re: Driving to Knysna to Shamwari-should i stay PE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Shamwari Game Reserve