We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

London
5 posts
Save Topic
Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

Hi

Some help please

We are planning a family trip (kids 13 and 11) to Madwike in 2012. We have a choice of school holidays and can go either in mid-August or the end of October / early November

I know mid-August will be colder - but when is the best time to go for game viewing and for overall comfortable weather?

Thanks

Mark

Hoorn, The...
Level Contributor
48 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

Both periods have their pro's and cons. Both periods will be fine. From game viewing perspektive I don't think the differences are huge. In both periods the bush will be dry and without leaves and the game looking for the waterholes. Mid/late August has nice sunny days but (sometimes very) cold evenings and nights. Late October can be very hot (last week 47 degrees Celsius but it is dry heat) and if unlucky with hefty thunderstorms.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

Hi Mark - I would definitely recommend mid August. It's a great time of the year for game viewing! Yes, the first part of your early morning game drives will still be quite cold, but the cold temperatures won't last all day long. This year, the first rains already fell in Madikwe in October, so there is a chance of rain showers interfering with your safari activities during October/ November. Also, October/November are usually 2 very, very hot months. My vote definitely goes for mid August!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

Also depends on whether you are doing anything else on your vacation other than going to Madikwe.

South Africa is a big country and has very different climates in different parts. For example if you want to spend time in Cape Town and the Western Cape I would not plan to go in August if I had the choice. This is a winter rainfall area and will often be cold, wet and stormy at that time - which is much more likely to interfere with your holiday. The East Coast and KZN has yet a different climate, as does the South Coast and the "Garden Route". You may even be planning to visit other countries.

If you are just coming to Madikwe and then back to the UK I would agree with August. Otherwise look at where you are spending the majority of your vacation and you will probably need to compromise somewhere.

Edited: 31 October 2011, 12:17
Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

Very good friends of mine used to manage one of the private lodges in Madikwe & they always recommended August for the previously mentioned reasons. We actually visited in late September & thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Your children will love their time there.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - it looks like August may be just edging it!

Mark

phila
Level Contributor
277 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

I agree with V de C, except that I would add that if your primary reason for going to South Africa is safari, August is really an exceptional month, especially late August which is really almost the beginning of spring. (We did see Capetown in August, and while I agree it wasn't optimum, it was certainly nice, with one very sunny day and temperatures around 20 degrees C, with terrific views from Table Mountain. And so many of the flowers bloom year round!)

Getting back to Madikwe, while it is cool in the am and pm, the temperature range through the day is probably between 10 degrees and 25 or even 30 degrees C. it can be wonderful in the middle of the day, swimmable. So "winter" isn't what you're probably thinking.

Whatever you decide you're going to love it.

Mentioned in this post
Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

yup, mid Aug, but kids and elephants won't be swimming then ...that's now except if you're British:)

scotland
Level Contributor
258 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

We took our kids in October 10 &11 - nice & warm on safari (25-30C) & 18-20C in Cape Town as well. Lots of wildlife to see & it didn't rain. If you are going anywhere else then October hols are ideal.

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
9. Re: Madikwe in mid-August or early November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2013, 10:20