We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

We are thinking about visiting Madikwe to see wild dogs in August 2013. This will be our third trip to SA (and 14th to Africa).

We are a party of 3 with our 12 yo son, don't want to spend over the top but will pay to be in the right place. We are also very experienced birders, so we want guides who know their stuff, not just on the Big 5 but also sharp on birds. Plus night drives would be good.

Any recommendations?

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Thakadu is a tented camp which is not unreasonably priced, including a couple of family tents with sofa beds. We stayed there a couple of years ago and had some wonderful sightings of the wild dogs. Whenever we bumped into vehicles from other lodges, it was obvious that our guide there, Lucky, was highly respected by all of the other rangers.

We've also enjoyed Jaci's which also caters to families and saw the wild dogs during our stays there too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Thanks Sandsy

Thakadu looks really nice, especially the tents and Iike the fact that the website mentions birds specifically.

I looked at Jaci's but what puts me off is that 12s and under eat separately in the evening - fair enough for little ones, but our 12 yo is pretty mature and would hate being excluded and stuck with the kids.

Anyone else?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Just make him 13 when you are there. I doubt anyone will ask for the passport and check.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Hello and have you thought about visiting northern KwaZulu Natal? Wild dogs are seen regularly at Imfolozi plus there are pvt reserves, like Thanda, that have them to. The birding in the region is excellent and Ndumo and Tembe are real hot spots. August is a good time to visit to. Dry and warm days. Plus its whale watching time off the coast.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Abagane - great idea! Only problem is that we then have to pay full price for him, whereas 12 yo are 50% off. I'll look over the rates again but it really bumps it up when it's 3 adults per night.

Mark - we visited KwaZulu Natal about 5 years ago en route back from Kruger and loved it - didn't realise they had wild dogs in the game parks there. We were mostly birding, so stayed at Bonamanzi and St Lucia, where we had a spectacular picnic breakfast interrupted by whales! Rough sea at St Lucia though - we are looking forward to more tranquil whalewatching conditions in the second part of our trip in August 2013 in Cape Town and Hermanus.

Has anyone stayed at Madikwe River Lodge? Seems to be fairly well priced but not much about wildlife on its website.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Pleased you have been to KZN and I was lucky with calm seas for whales off St Lucia. The wild dogs in Imfolozi are doing well and have even featured in a National Geographic TV show. I think there 3 or 4 other reserves with them to. Have a great trip!

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

I've stayed at Madikwe River Lodge on numerous safaris. Definitely a good option to consider. The game viewing has always been excellent. Remember though that in Madikwe the lodges are not restricted to specific traversing regions, and they can pretty much traverse over the whole reserve. They do obviously try to avoid travelling long distances to the other side of the reserve during game drives.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Tanya,

So let me put you on the spot - where would you stay if you wanted to see wild dog?

Liz

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Most reasonable rate for accommodation in Madikwe is Mosetlha (www.thebushcamp.com) and it is a great bush camp experience for your 12 year old! I have seen wild dog almost every time I have been to Madikwe.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable rates and best option for wild dogs

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. We have booked two nights at Thakadu, at what seems like a good rate wth Bushbreaks. Can't wait.

Get answers to your questions about Madikwe Game Reserve