We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

Brookmans Park...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

Hi,

We are going to South Africa in August and have 3 nights to spend in Madikwe. We have been on several safaris before and like a bit of luxury but we have not been to Madikwe before. I have looked at the reviews and a lot of the lodges look lovely. My question is which lodge is best for a couple who is looking for a quiet relaxing stay away from noisy children?

Also, we are planning to self-drive from Pretoria to Madikwe and someone suggested Pilanesberg as a closer alternative. What are everybody's thought on that?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Susannne

Mentioned in this post
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
Pilanesberg National Park
North-West Province, South Africa
Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

I can't help with lodges in Madikwe as we now look for ones which are child friendly.

Pilanesberg is a public reserve so it naturally attracts a lot of families who will self-drive. This can make for a lot of traffic (relatively speaking). Before kids, we did stay at Tshkudu Bush Lodge there (not to be confused with a similar named lodge elsewhere) which was adult only and probably the best in the area. It still seems to get excellent ratings. But be aware that it has rather a lot of steps!

Mentioned in this post
south africa
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

I would always choose Kruger but have been to Madikwe a few times , firstly to experience a different reserve & stayed at Impodimo & Thakadu & enjoyed both (prob Impodino a little more) & then because we have small kids & malaria free. Stayed at Madikwe River lodge & Tau, would skip Tau as very child friendly & a bit far out (water hole in front is great though & saw lots of animals right there.)Etali looks superb & would love to try it next , actually would like to try lots :) don't think you could go wrong with your choice. When at River lodge the wild dog had their den with pups very close so went every day , that was a bonus & also a mongoose family that came to visit daily which is something we always love. Would choose Madikwe over Pilanesberg for sure!

Mentioned in this post
Madikwe River Lodge
Madikwe River Lodge
223 Reviews
Madikwe Game Reserve, South Africa
Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

I also recommend you choose Madikwe over Pilansberg. Use TA to narrow yr choices to say 3 lodges then contact them directly re policy of kids, rates etc.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

I agree that Madikwe would be your best choice. I have stayed at the majority of the lodges in the park, and if you are looking to avoid families with young children, then good options to consider are Madikwe Hills and Mateya.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

Good advice from Tanya, and of the two I would recommend Madikwe Hills. Excellent location, nice views and very central which makes it easy to get to any part of the reserve.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Brookmans Park...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

Thanks everybody for the advice. That is helpful.

Regards,

Susanne

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

Pilanesberg gets recommended for people who only have a weekend (or 2 1/2 days) from Johannesburg. When it is just a waste of most of their time to spend it traveling for hours to get to Kruger or Madikwe.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Brookmans Park...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

My trave agent has suggested the Royal Madikwe. What does everyone think of that?

Regards, Susanne

9. Re: Which lodge is best for middle aged couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 16:15