We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended clothing

Barry, United...
4 posts
Recommended clothing

We are staying at the Makanyane Lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve from the 29th July 2014 for 3 nights for our honeymoon. We haven't been on a safari before and so was wondering what the weather would be like at that time of year and what type of clothes/footwear to pack. I understand it may be chilly at night and early mornings.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bedfordview...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Recommended clothing

Hi there, its currently our winter so the mornings and evenings are chilly with minimums of below 10 degrees, the days will average 16-20 , we are currently experiencing a cold front with very cold conditions (sub zero minimums). If the weather is normal winter you will need a fleece jacket plus long-sleeves in the evenings and mornings, if you will be having game drives on open vehicles then you will need a jacket and a hat/beanie for the wind chill, day time will be long pants and light long-sleeves. Our.Our weather is pretty accurate if you look at weathersa, you should get a good idea I would suggest check the week before just to make sure there is no cold front coming through, hope this helps and enjoy your honeymoon.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Recommended clothing

Take some winterclothing with you, it will be cold on the morning and evening safari's. Gloves on will be also recommend.

Have fun

Hoorn, The...
Level Contributor
46 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Recommended clothing

Yes you will need winterclothes for the hours of the day without sun, but for during the day don't forget your bathing suits and shortsleeved shirts. During the day temperatures range between 16 and 30 degrees, and most like between and 20 and 25 degrees.

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
441 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Recommended clothing

May be is understating it... Traditionallly the 1st week in Aug is the coldest in the year, and you are pretty much there. And it is not that it is cold, it is that you are driving at 40'km an hour, and the seats are above the windscreen...sit in the front row if you can, but Lorna's beanie is very very important, Annamiekes gloves also recommended, also a scarf. The mornings will,be the coldest, but also the most exciting. You've picked a good Lodge, enjoy

Regards, Jaco Rautenbach, owner, Adventure Travel Africa

Barry, United...
4 posts
5. Re: Recommended clothing

Thank you all for your comments, they are very much appreciated. I will take on board everyone's advice.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
862 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Recommended clothing

The one thing I wish I'd brought was a pair of boots. Everyone is wearing boots!

Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Recommended clothing

What kind of boots? Hiking?

Barry, United...
4 posts
8. Re: Recommended clothing

I just wondered what kind of clothing is advisable to wear in the evenings? Is it smart clothing? We have got kind of walking shoes which are quite sturdy. Would these be ok to wear?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
9. Re: Recommended clothing

You’ve got the gist that game drives are going to be cold, but wrap up well in layers, so you can strip down bit by bit as the sun heats you up and it will be great. And I agree, you’ve chosen a great lodge in Makanyane; the manager once told me of an occasion when a lady guest was showering in her outdoor shower and an elephant’s trunk came over the wall looking for a drink and almost frisked her. She was so startled that she ran naked along the path to the main lodge screaming for help! I had some amazingly close encounters with elephants there too. Enjoy!

Fair Trade Safaris non profit operator

10. Re: Recommended clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2016, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Madikwe Game Reserve