We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat in Taos.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Topic
Places to eat in Taos.

I'm planning a trip to New Mexico for the Fiesta Festival on October. I'll be visiting Taos for two days. I'll be staying in the Historic Taos Inn. My husband loves steaks and seafood, specially lobster. I love hamburguers. Suggestions on places for lunch and dinner will be very much appreciated.

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

While I'm sure your husband will find some good seafood wherever you find yourselves on your trip, the term "when in Rome" might be one he learns to accept on some level to minimize any disappointment or let down he might experience.

You are coming from a place where really fresh seafood is a given on a daily basis, so not ramping up his expectations too highly could make the trip more enjoyable if he'll consider a few mitigating factors like the following.

New Mexico isn't exactly blessed with a bounty of restaurants catering to a person with primarily an ocean based diet. The smaller the town, the less chances he'll find really fresh seafood or it will be limited to a few menu choices.

Even though air freighting of fresh seafood allows good access to decent supplies even to areas far from a coast, diving in and trying some of the local fare might just open his palate up to some new experiences.

Good steaks shouldn't be a problem anywhere you travel.

We really enjoy Orlando's whenever we're in Taos and its worth the wait if you go at peak dining hours. I've never had their burger, but peeking at other diner's plates while there, it looks really good.

If the seafood craving just can't be replaced, I'd suggest you stick with the finer restaurants in and around town.

Hopefully k9taos, the local expert for Taos can make a few suggestions as I've come to trust every bit of advice they provide here.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

Other restaurants we have enjoyed are Ogelvies www.ogelvies.com, Doc Martin's at the Taos Inn http://taosinn.com/restaurant.html, and the Apple Tree http://appletreerestaurant.com/.

You may also want to try Eske's Brew Pub, good burgers according to my husband. www.eskesbrewpub.com

Joseph's Table gets rave reviews.. We have not been there. Worth checking out. www.josephstable.com

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

I would take TimToads very correct message to heart.

I personally have been disappointed lately by Ogelvies, Doc Martins, and the Apple Tree.

My fine dining favorites are Josephs Table, Lamberts, and Byzantium. Josephs has a great Buffalo Burger on the bar menu, but it is available anywhere in the restaurant.

Good lunch spots are Lulas (mainly sandwiches but they roast their own meats and make their own buffalo pastrami),Gutiz (French/latin fusion), The Bent Street Deli (in the center of things), and a new pizza place on Siler (by the Smiths grocery) called Pizza Piazza. The fellow who owns it is from Italy and the pizza is tremendous.

Also, the Old Blinking Light is a great place for burgers as well as steaks.

Always a good local bet is Guadalajara Grill, for locals.

Happy Dining!

4. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2008, 17:48
New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

Orlando's has a really delicious pork dish (I can't remember the name...) with posole, yum! Great New Mexican food.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g47019-d38…

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

I really must say that I have been horribly disappointed in the cuisine at Docs lately. My wife and I each had an entree that was over $30 (Deer and Rack of Lamb). While the meat was good, both entrees were served in a bowl and placed on top of poorly cooked and seasoned potatos, carrots, etc.

The table of six next to us sent back at least one of their entrees, and the entire table was given free desserts because of complaints about the food quality.

We filled out a comment card with our contact information on it, but were never contacted by the restaurant manager.

Every one of Jump 5's comments is about how great the Taos Inn is. It makes me wonder if Jump 5 is not actually an employee of the Taos Inn.

The Taos Inn has many good points and I frequently recommend it. However, lately, Dinner at Docs has not been a highlight for me.

Just one man's opinion.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

Wow.. I'm sad to hear that Doc's is not up to par. We have had many lunches there a few dinners.

You also mentioned that Apple Tree is not that great anymore..

Where else for dinner (like those 2 places) would you currently recommend??

Thanks.

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

My favorite Taos dining establishments in no particular order are:

Josephs Table-on the plaza

Lamberts- just south of the plaza on NM 68

Rellenos-just south of the plaza on NM 68

Lula's-south of the plaza on NM 68

Guadalajara Grill- on south side of town on NM 68 and on north side of town on US 64

Gutiz- north on US 64

Bent Street Deli- on Bent Street

Old Blinking Light- on Ski Valley Rd.

Bavarian Lodge- in Taos Ski Valley

Byzantium- behind the Plaza

Orlandos- north on US 64

Grahams Grill has many supporters as does Sabrosa, but I have not been to either lately.

My favorites are based not only on my own perceptions, but also on the comments of all of our B&B guests. I have worked as a manager at a number of AAA 4 and 5 star properties as well as Mobil 4 and 5 star properties. My own B&B is not rated by any organization on purpose. We prefer a more relaxed environment without the false constraints often imposed by rating organizations.

There are many other good restaurants out there. I really enjoy hearing of them. I try not to offer negative reviews, but break my own rules now and then.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

Thanks for that great list! We plan on a day trip during Spring Break, will try someplace new!!

Thanks again.

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat in Taos.

Just had dinner last night at Graham's Grill.

It was wonderful. We had what I initially considered was a horrible table, right by the back door and looking at the open kitchen. I was ready to be disappointed.

Then, our marvelous waitress showed up with a small but interesting wine and beer list.

An appetizer of bacon wrapped mozzarella cheese on honey mustard was great. My buffalo burger with pasta salad was very tasty. For dessert we split some coconut cake.

I hate coconut, but this cake was out of this world. I will probably order this every time we go there!

Total bill for two including beer- $50