We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern PA
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

I've been working up an itinerary for our June trip (ABQ to SF to Taos to Mesa Verde to Crested Butte to ABQ) and am stumped when it comes to lodging in Taos. I'm hoping for inexpensive "that'll do fine for one night" lodging, but I literally am nauseous at all of the bad reviews on TA I've read. I've thought B&Bs aren't for us because of 2 things... I tend to rise quite early and we're traveling with 11 and 13-yr olds. Are there less expensive, family friendly B&Bs in the Taos area or is it better to suck it up and stay in a lower-priced Taos hotel? We won't be in town long. Arriving late a.m., planning on rafting in the pm, leaving mid-morning next day. -Thanks!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

You may want to try Casa Encantada. We stayed there a couple years ago, and we're not really B & B people but we had a nice time. It's more of a compound with casitas around a nice yard than being in a private home. I think they have some 2 bedroom suites or larger units. It's close to town but in a residential neighborhood. I'm sure some of the Taos experts will also chime in. Have a great time rafting. DM

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

Both the Old Taos Guest House and Salsa del Salto are very family friendly.

For what its worth, you are spending way to little time in Taos. Especially if you are rafting.

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

Hmmm.. I think the B&Bs you suggested look wonderful, especially the Old Taos Guesthouse. I would love to return to NM sometime when we're moving at a more leisurely pace. We will be spending more time in Crested Butte than anywhere else, using it as a base for hiking, more rafting, biking etc., so our itinerary is geared toward "getting there" rather than slowly absorbing each stop along the way. Hence, the search for relatively cheap lodging in Taos rather than 2 rooms in a B&B. I would really appreciate any suggestions for making the most of our time in Taos, though!! We could eliminate the rafting if need be (but the thought of rafting on the Rio Grande was kinda fun to this east coast gal...)

Albuquerque, NM
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

I also agree with the other writer that you're spending too little time in Taos, but I'm sure you'll get a longer experience when it fits your schedule. I've seen good prices on family rooms at the Salsa B&B so check it out if you haven't already. Have a fun trip.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

Relatively cheap lodging in the typical chain hotels in Taos tends to be on the main commercial shopping drag and is very generic. Some of the really inexpensive hotels are not the nicest places to stay, to put it kindly the TA reviews are pretty much true. Most of the posted rates of Hampton and Best Western are close to the price of a B&B close to the plaza with a real breakfast included. It's worth giving the inn keeper a call to get a rate. DM

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

For a trip this short I might suggest your white water rafting, (it will be fantastic this year)and a visit to Taos Pueblo the next morning. It will be about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Taos to Mesa Verde. Places to have lunch along the way will be Chama (1 3/4 hours), Pagosa Springs (2 1/2 hours), and Durango (3 1/2 hours).

Have a great vacation!

7. Re: Taos: hotel v. B&B for family w/ 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 05:25