We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthships in New Mexico

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Earthships in New Mexico

I will be traveling from Taos to Durango Colorado and was interested in seeing some earthships. There is the Greater World Community north of Taos and hope that someone can direct me to an area accessible by car to see some of these spectacular self-sustaining homes. I don't want to impose on anybody's privacy, but would like to see some from the roadway. Any suggestions?

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

Though it's been several years since I've been there, I recall that several of the earthships were available for tours, and some of them were available for overnight lodgings.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

The community is off of NM 64 I can't remember the name of the road it is gravel/dirt or at least was in 2005 when we were there. We stayed at the Dobson House B%B which is an earthship it was really nice.

Look on their site if the directions to their place are on there then there then it might name the road.

I have a guide book that lists the solar survival tour but I tried it and it came up something else,but here is the phone # you can try it.

505-751-0462

GOOD LUCK

South Florida...
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

Thanks for the information. I am having some success with searching under real estate for sale. Apparently there are several of these communities, self-sustaining living off the grid...leaving a much smaller carbon foot-print. :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

Here's links to the Greater World Community near Taos, started by Michael Reynolds (the "inventor" of Earthships) and another Earthship website.

http://greaterworld.org/

http://www.earthship.net/

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

Great thread. Thanks for the links, Casa Azul.

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

Its really very easy. Just take US 64 on your way to Durango. One or two miles past the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge you will see your first earthship on the right. It is open for tours and they have literature, videos, etc. for sale. There is literally nothing between the Gorge Bridge and the first earthship other than sage brush, so it is pretty difficult to get confused.

Once there, those people will be able to direct you to the other Earthship communities which are all on the same side of US 64 and stretch out for a mile or so.

All are accessible by car, except in the muddiest weather, and I do not believe that you will disturb anyone by merely driving down the road.But then again its Taos, you just never know.

Eartships are a great idea, but prior to plunking down any cash I might first find out why their designer and founder of the community out there voluntarily gave up his contractors and architects license rather than going to trial.

For the total experience I highly suggest The Dobson House. The Dobsons have done it right. It is truly Earthship Supreme!

Have Fun!

Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

I was there a week ago, was great.

Took the tour and many of the ships were available to walk through. Some of the residents are very proud of their ship and welcomed us inside to show us around. They seemed to enjoy tourist with genuine interest.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

Just wondering if you could elaborate on the tour you took...what tour...I would love to see inside...where?!! where do I go? I leave in about 2 weeks and would really like to add this to my itenerary. thanks. spygal

angel fire nm
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

I think this is too late but I found it on Craigslist. It is amazing. flickr.com/photos/…

South Florida...
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earthships in New Mexico

Thanks for the flicker link...just awesome...amazing if you ask me...can't wait...leave in one week, so you weren't too late :)