We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Fe White water rafting

Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Fe White water rafting

We are first timers to New Mexico and will be spending May 9th to the 16th in Santa Fe. Have been faithfully reading this forum for some time now and have a pretty good idea of what we would like to do and see. We are three couples in our early sixties and all enjoy active vacations and adventures. The guys would like to do a full day rafting the Taos box. Have seen several rafting companies mentioned. Any suggestions as to which to choose and do we need reservations ahead of time for midweek trip?

While we're rafting the ladies would like a spa experience. Have seen Ten Thousand Waves and Absolute Nirvana mentioned along with others. Again, any significant differences or personal recommendations?

Finally, being avid trout fishermen, are there any good trout streams nearby that would warrant some time pursuing the fine art of angling?

Thanks for any help--I love these forums and already have obtained some really valuable info.

Taos, NM
Level Contributor
265 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Fe White water rafting

There are a number of rafting companies that are licensed by the BLM to take you down the box. In my personal knowledge, the ones that are based in Taos are all great. In over 14 years in the hospitality business in this town I have never had a complaint about a local rafting business. So... let us know who you pick and what your experience is with them!

As far as reservations go, if you are flexible, you might be able to wait until you get here and are able to see the 5 day weather forecast, and then pick the day best for you. If you are not flexible, you might be in trouble.

Northern New Mexico has world class trout fishing twelve months out of the year. However, each stream has months when it is better or worse than the others within a similiar driving distance. You might try hiring a guide, or at least asking at one or two of the local fly shops once you get here.

Mind you, there is almost a two hour drive from Santa Fe to Taos. Because of that, streams that I might suggest, are not even on the radar for folks based in Santa Fe.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Fe White water rafting

If you're going to do White Water Rafting while staying in Santa Fe, you're going to be driving/riding in a car or bus as much as you're going to be on the river. There are overnight trips on the Chama River and a few on the Rio Grande, that would make this statement untrue. But if you're starting out in Santa Fe, you're going to be driving at least 2 hours each way, so a "day trip" is going to start very early and end in the early evening.

White water rafting is one of the reasons we came to New Mexico. The Taos Box is world-class white water and MUST be done with a professional guide. With all the snow we've had, as long as temperatures continue to remain relatively cool, the season should peak in late May, early June and then slowly taper off. k9taos is entirely correct: you're going to have to try and be flexible. The season should be nothing less than spectacular this year.

The white water guides in Santa Fe will be able to give you details regarding departure times and return times.

By the way, the white water on the Chama RIver, especially the overnight trip from Santa Fe, is great for everyone regardless of prior experience. Class 3 rapids, but unbelievable scenery through a "Wild and Scenic" area and then into the valley west of Ghost Ranch. It might offer an alternative to the "rush-rush" of a day trip on the Taos Box.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Fe White water rafting

Here's some info for you. Check with High Desert Angler in Santa Fe for information on where would be a good stream for fishing during your visit. They also do guided trips. My cousins went with them a few years ago for a day and had a blast! http://highdesertangler.com/

Ten Thousand Waves is wondeful, I have not been to the other spa so can't compare. The private tubs are great, our favorite is the Waterfall. They also have packages that include hot soak, and various spa treatments and massages. Check www.tenthousandwaves.com

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Fe White water rafting

A definite second for 10k Waves.

As for rafting, we've had good personal experience with Kokopelli and this year expect the rafting to be very very good, since we've had such a wet winter.

Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Fe White water rafting

Thanks for all of the valuable info and links. I knew I could count on fellow posters for accurate info. I bookmarked the links and will share with my fellow travelers.

We would also like to spend some time in Chimayo, visiting weavers and other artisans. Any insights into what we should not miss. Thanks again!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Fe White water rafting

We have many pieces from Ortega's and Trujillo's

http://ortegasweaving.com/

http://www.chimayoweavers.com/

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
191 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Fe White water rafting

FWIW, we took a 1/2 day rafting trip yesterday with Los Rios River Runners and had a fabulous time (thanks, Dan!). We drove up from Santa Fe and met them in Pilar -- they're based in Taos. We were very happy with their trip from start to finish.

We stopped in Chimayo on our way back to SF from Pilar. Saw the Sanctuario there (wow!), did some good browsing and purchased some nice pots at good prices at Chimayo Trading and Mercantile (thanks for staying open late for us), and had a really lovely dinner at Rancho de Chimayo.

All were well worth our time, and we had a terrific day.

Judy

8. Re: Santa Fe White water rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Taos
Recent Conversations