We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from ABQ to Taos?

Oklahoma
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus from ABQ to Taos?

Aug 14, a Saturday, I will arrive ABQ . My stay will be in Taos. I'd hoped to rent a car in ABQ however since the Indian Mkt will be going on in Santa Fe, prices have almost doubled.

Wondering if there is bus service to Taos and I could rent a car there...? My concern is that I wouldn't get to Taos prior to a car rental closing since I don't arrive ABQ til 1:55PM. I could only find one shuttle service that charged $75 each way.

Any ideas? I've appreciated all insight I've received prior. Thanks.

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

I don't know of any bus service although I suppose you could take the Rail Runner to SF and then the shuttle to Taos. That seems like an awful lot of work and schedules are very limited on the weekend. Have you checked the actual rental car prices in Taos yet?

I'd be more apt to try and find car rental discount coupons or book a car through one of the sites like Priceline or Hotwire. Have you tried those sites for rental car prices?

You don't say how long you are renting for or what size car you need, but I show one week rentals starting on Aug 14 for an economy car start at under $200, which hardly seems like double the normal price....

Edited: 31 March 2010, 14:42
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

Rental cars are high in demand during the Indian Market. Unfortunately, there is no commercial bus service between Albuquerque and Taos (i.e. Greyhound).

There were (you never know when things are going to change these days) two shuttle services between the ABQ Sunport and Taos (approximately a 3 hour trip).

They are listed here.

www.taosnewmexico.com/living/transportation

Taos is also a very small community, so rental cars would probably be even harder to come by there.

I would bite the bullet, and rent at the Sunport. We are aware that Albuquerque rentals are high...and even higher during the major Albuquerque/Santa Fe events. :-( "They" get you coming or going don't they?

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

Please excuse us for being so direct, but we don't feel the information provided in the previous posts is useful or accurate.

Twin Hearts Express and Transportation has shuttles that run several times daily from the Albuquerque Airport to Taos and its environs. Give them a call at: (575) 751-1201. Rates are $50 one-way or $90 round-trip.

There are other options that include taking the RailRunner commuter train to the Santa Fe Railyard and then hopping on one of the public transportation options from there. Here are the links to those schedules:

http://www.nmrailrunner.com

http://www.taosexpress.com/

If you're still having trouble getting transportation arranged, please keep us posted on this forum.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

Cottam-Walker Ford Lincoln Mercury can arrange to have a car waiting for you at a designated place. Call Charlie, Rental Manager at (575) 770-8759 to check pricing and availability. He may think you're staying at my Inn, but you can set your place of delivery regardless.

The only other rental car option is Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Local number is (575) 758-5553. They are only open 9 am to Noon on Saturday, closed all day Sunday. They open back up on Monday at 8 AM.

Have a safe trip!

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
111 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

I would check with Taos Shuttle Service, run by the folks at the Taos Dodge and Chrysler dealership. (Ask for Kevin.) They were new last winter and a little hard to find through online listings. I used them twice last winter and had good experiences both times. They had a round-trip option that saves money. They also work with custom scheduling instead of fixed schedules.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

The Railrunner to Taos Shuttle option will be the cheapest and on a Saturday they have worked out the schedule to make it actually work! The earliest Railrunner you can catch with a 2pm flight arrival would be the 4:44pm train north. You can ride the Abq bus for $1 from the airport to the downtown station to catch the train. The train arrives in Santa Fe at 6:16pm and then you can catch the Taos Shuttle which leaves the SF Station at 6:30pm. Total cost will be $1 + $8 +$10 for a total of $19 one way.

If a shuttle costs $90 RT from the airport and then a car rental in Taos costs hmmm let's say $20 a day...wouldn't the convenience of a rental car out of the Sunport in Abq at $200 a week be worth it???? Check on expedia.com for rentals Enterprise seemed to have the best rate. This would allow you flexibility to travel where and when you want to.

You may also want to check renting a car in the downtown area of Albuquerque, a short $1 bus ride from the airport. Seems Enterprise rates are cheaper at their 330 TIJERAS AVE NW location by about $50 a week.

Hope this helps some.

San Diego
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

Read a review on Yelp from somebody that had a bad experience with Twin Hearts Express. Does anybody have an experience with them (e.g. trips from Albuquerque to Taos? Thx ~

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

The Twin Hearts Shuttle is pretty darned expensive for what you get. It's $80+ for a round-trip, but they will pick you up and drop you off where you want to be. The public transportation options are pretty limited and we've been trying them to have real information to share with folks on this site.

The public transportation options using the Rail Runner, for example, have extremely limited schedules in the middle of the day. If you want to get from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, you better get there early in the morning, or no later than 11 AM. If you miss that train, you have to wait until after 4 PM for the next train. That's not a very reasonable alternative considering the fact that there's really no train station per se.

As residents of a small community, we don't like to say negative things about specific businesses here in Taos, but we recommend that you take all of the reviews at face value and then use your judgment to "filter" what may be important to you. When a business has a monopoly on anything, customer service tends to become lower on the list of importance. It is possible now that there are public transportation alternatives, even as limited as they are, that our local monopoly will understand. We're always hopefully optimistic in all things Taos.

San Diego
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

Thx for the feedback and advice and can appreciate the philosophy of not bashing local companies. Cheers ~

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from ABQ to Taos?

I'm a local Taoseno - and sorry to say, I had a very bad experience with Twin Hearts - will not give them my business again.