We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos from Boulder - Driving question

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder
Level Contributor
11 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Taos from Boulder - Driving question

Driving from Boulder, CO to Taos. The two routes options are staying on I 25 until Raton, or getting off in Walsenburg and take 160. Which drive is more interesting? We are not in a hurry, so mountain driving is ok. Thank you!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,698 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taos from Boulder - Driving question

I would take Hwy 93 Boulder to Morrison, then US285 most of the way then US 64 to Taos, driving over the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. Takes about an hour longer than the interstate routes, but much more fun! Beautiful views

If not that route, then take I25 to Walsenburg then south to Taos is our 2nd favorite route.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taos from Boulder - Driving question

We always recommend that you base your route on the amount of time you have. Taking the exit at Walsenberg and US160, etc is the "fast" route and will still take you through some spectacular scenery as you drive on the west side of the Sangre de Christos.

Following IH25 all the way south, over Raton Pass and then to US64 through Cimarron is very nice, but it takes at least an hour longer than the first route I suggested. The drive through Cimarron Canyon up to Eagle Nest is nothing short of special. Although a US Highway, the drive has the feel of being on a country lane. It's really spectacular.

One thing to note: don't try the southerly route in the dark this time of year unless you're really wanting to go slow. Migrating herds of elk will be standing on the road. Not a good way to pass the time.

3. Re: Taos from Boulder - Driving question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 08:19