We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day visit - what to do in Taos

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
One day visit - what to do in Taos

Hello TA experts, need some advice in planning a one day trip to Taos. I will be in a 3day business trip in Santa Fe in midMay and have decided to extend by 1 day so I can drive up and visit Taos. Wish I could stay longer but it's not possible; it is my 3rd trip to Santa Fe and have always wanted to visit the Taos Pueblo, and now is my chance. Apart from the Taos Pueblo what other MUST see item should I do, given I only have one day to drive there and back to Santa Fe? My understanding is that it only takes 1hr 15-30 minutes from Santa Fe to Taos. And, where is the best place for lunch? looking for something that is unique, charming, lots of ambiance, something i wont see anywhere else. Thanks!

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day visit - what to do in Taos

We always recommend going the so-called "low road" to Taos since the views as you come into to Town are spectacular. Eat at Graham's Grille or Lula's for lunch. If you're vegetarian, try the spectacular food at El Gamal just west of the Plaza -- top notch vegan experience.

Visit the Pueblo and try to get in the Millicent Roger's, the Taos Art Museum and the Harwood and Blumenshein Museums. A single pass will get you admission into all of these. Be sure to read our recent review of a return visit to the Pueblo on TA to get some tips on making the experience more enjoyable.

Take the High Road back. Because we have had some huge Spring snows and another one is predicted in a couple of days, the views of the Truchas peaks are best seen when headed south back to Santa Fe. Don't be shy about finding a quick pullout and taking some shots of these very photogenic mountains.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
135 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day visit - what to do in Taos

Thank you, your suggestion to take the Low and then the High sounds great! Is there a website where I can get specific driving directions for both these routes and also what are the must see stops along the way. Lastly, I will only have a regular rental car, is that ok> I don't need a big old SUV at this time of the year do I? I think I'll take lunch at Graham's Grille. I am from the Bay area and their website say they are from. the Bay area too plus their restaurant sounds lovely. Ciao.

3. Re: One day visit - what to do in Taos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 01:15