We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

marquette
Level Contributor
75 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

My family of 5, all adults with intermediate ski skills will be in Taos for Christmas. We will only spend one day downhill skiing so....which resort would be best for us? I hear that TAOS is pretty difficult but very beautiful. I haven't heard anything about Angel FIre. Does anyone have any experience with these 2 places and could compare/contrast them for me? THanks

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

Taos Ski Valley is the only nationally ranked resort in the State of New Mexico. Its offerings are geared towards those who want to ski all day and enjoy themselves on the slopes. Anyone who wants to improve their skiing is always encouraged to take one of the two-hour lessons offered by the Ski Resort where an instructor will rate the skier and then take them around the mountain on the runs they are best qualified to ski.

A common misconception about Taos Ski Valley is that everything is difficult. With miles and miles of green and blue runs, TSV's terrain offers lots for the intermediate skier. If you're talking about difficulty, TSV has a lot more difficult terrain than any other resort in New Mexico, but that's simply because it's bigger and better.

If you're only doing one day, but you're staying in Taos, the drive to TSV is 18 miles -- we get there from the Historic District in Taos in about 40 minutes. If you're staying in Taos, but going to Angel Fire, the drive is about 30 miles and includes a mountain pass that you'll need to avoid if a storm is underway (it's kept clear 99% of the time). That drive can be about an hour.

Angel Fire is a great place with fewer runs, but nevertheless an incredibly beautiful setting. It tends to be frequented by those with less experience skiing but has a "family" feel that we find charming and inviting.

Over the Christmas Holidays, assuming that snow is abundant, both areas will be super busy.

marquette
Level Contributor
75 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

Thanks for the input. It sounds like both would be good. Myself I would go with the one that has the best views. Ha ha. I live in the Midwest so if being able to take in mountain vistas is part of the thrill is one better than the other? I also heard that Taos has better snow making abilities if snow is needed. Any input on that aspect too? Thanks.

Los Angeles
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

Angel Fire also offers a Nordic center for cross country and snowshoeing. They also have a Polar Coaster - moving tarp that takes you up the hill for tubing - which is super fun and takes some of the hard work out of "sport". Angel Fire also has a very cool, off trail (hiking access only) Black Diamond trail - along with several other black runs. Angel Fire produces snow on over half its trails and with this winter expected to be a strong El Nino it should be a great year to spend Christmas at Angel Fire. Finally two things that it offers that Taos does not, is a winter zipline (first winter it will be open) and nighttime skiing on the weekends and holiday periods. The views are expansive and wide in Angel Fire - but clearly Taos has INCREDIBLE views as well. They are bit more of a canyon atmosphere but the peaks are super impressive and high. Hope that helps. I drive from Albuquerque to Angel Fire a lot as I have a vacation home there and I've never had it last longer than 30 minutes to get from the town ofTaos to Angel Fire - even in strong winter conditions. Just my two cents. Either choice you will have a great time!! Angel Fire is more affordable too - so if budget is at all a concern....

Lampasas, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

Taos all the way. The surroundings, etc. are much more enjoyable. Angel Fire isn't bad, just kinda out of the way. Taos Village at Christmas, I'm jealous. We are from central Texas and go skiing every spring break, we've been to Heavenly in Tahoe, Ski Apache, Angel Fire, Purgatory and Taos. Taos stands out far and above the others. Angel fire is a step above Apache but Taos kills both of them. Don't be afraid, yes it is steep in areas, but there are always greens if you can't make it. The service from skiing, restaurants, safety, etc. is always top notch. You can't beat Taos!!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

If you have intermediate skills avoid Angel Fire....that and Red River. They are both beginner mountains, not very challenging and not very many runs. Gets boring after a couple of hours. Taos has the best mix of trails for all levels. Heck their many blues are like Angel Fires few blacks. Taos without a doubt trumps the others.

Santa Fe is cool too, your average ski destination....problem is they don't get as much snow as Taos.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

Just curious...which mountain did you ski and what was your preference? Me and my husband plan to go to Taos next month and not sure where to spend more time skiing/driving...Anfle Fire or Taos.

7. Re: Taos Ski vs. Angel Fire Ski resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 05:16