We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taos Ski Valley Blue Run Degree of Dificulty, Bottom Line?

new york
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taos Ski Valley Blue Run Degree of Dificulty, Bottom Line?

I am reposting here from the Taos County forum as I believe this may be the more widely read forum.

A lot has been written about Taos' wonderful ski school and the mountain's appropriateness for beginner and intermediate skiers despite its reputation as an expert's resort. As a cautious and still learning intermediate skier I understand that the color rating of each run is relative to all the runs at a particular mountain. As one forum contributor said ,"Taos greens are Angel Fire blacks". Is this an exaggeration? On the East Coast I'm comfortable on blue runs at all the major resorts.

How do the green and blue runs at Taos compare to other resorts in Colorado and Utah, especially those that cater to families or relaxed recreational skiers; think Beaver Creek or Deer Valley where we were comfortable skiing blue.

We prefer wide open cruisers with few surprises! Would be better off at Angel Fire?

How about Ski Santa Fe?

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
172 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taos Ski Valley Blue Run Degree of Dificulty, Bottom Line?

I've skied several times at Taos. I've also skied at several resorts in Colorado but none in Utah.

I don't think it is accurate tthat the Taos greens are Angel Fire blacks but there are not a ton of green runs at Taos. The end of the day greens that feed into the base area are narrow and crowded. These are not great runs for new skiers. And mabe not cautious intermediates either. At most places Ive been in Colorado there are long wide greens - sometimes miles long. This is not the case at Taos The blues higher up on the mountain are generally wider but not terribly long. I've skied only one time each at Angel Fire and Santa Fe so I can be of little help about those places. I love skiing at Taos but if I wanted to do laps on long wide blues and greens I might consider looking somewhere other than Taos.

new york
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taos Ski Valley Blue Run Degree of Dificulty, Bottom Line?

Thanks oksooner1, that's good information. I checked a ski level breakdown and I'm actually a level 5/6 so I suspect I can find some blues up top that I can handle, Having said that I may ski the first day at Taos and try Angel Fire the second . I'll be in Sante Fe in the beginning and end of my week so I might check that out as well!

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taos Ski Valley Blue Run Degree of Dificulty, Bottom Line?

Comparisons of Taos to Santa Fe and Angel Fire run the risk of being over-generalized and "apples to oranges" instead of being meaningful. Taos is all about the skiing and because that Resort is the ONLY nationally ranked one in the entire state of New Mexico, comparing it to the second and third-tier mountains elsewhere leaves out critical information. When anyone comes to Taos for the first time we always recommend that they sign up for a half-day, a semi-private or one of the many other options available from the Ski School. At the very least they'll rate you and show you around the miles of terrain that fits your level. Additionally, you don't mention what time you're going to be there so discussions using the term "crowded" also are so generalized as to have no context. We ski Taos throughout the season and there are several "sub-seasons" that belie an easy description in a TA Forum post. You have to decide: do you want to be there where there are up to 4500 people on the mountain each day (the max allowed) or do you want to go when you'll be sharing that extensive terrain with 500, 600, or certainly less than a thousand people as is the case for much of early December and almost all of January.

new york
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taos Ski Valley Blue Run Degree of Dificulty, Bottom Line?

I'll be in Taos ,skiing somewhere, the last week in February, Monday-Friday. Is that traditionally a busy week? High schoolers and younger should be in school that week, not sure about college kids.

Lampasas, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taos Ski Valley Blue Run Degree of Dificulty, Bottom Line?

We've been going to Ski Valley the last 6 years. We've been to Angel Fire, Apache, Tahoe-Heavenly, Purgatory. Angel Fire is okay better suited for average skiers and okay for kids. Both of my kids learned at Taos, now that's where they want to go. Ski School is second to none, the staff is amazing in the school and generally throughout the resort.

Conditions on blues can vary depending on snow fall. Last year during Spring Break there was a nice amount of snow that came through. Some of the blues did develop moguls, but nothing worth worrying about. I do mostly blues, and an occasional black on the first day or two before my knees go. I'm by no means a professional level skier, I own boots but rent skies. Like one of the previous replies said it can get a little crowded when the runs end into greens. I actually think it's kinda fun dodging all the people falling down and laying on the ground.

There are several stops up the mountain for water and refreshments. After a couple of runs to start off our first day my son, daughter and I usually stay towards the top and the back side of the mountain. If greens are your major run, there are not a lot at Taos, and most of the lines are really short except for the lift at the base. Not like Apache or Angel Fire. There are two lifts at the base, 1 and 5. 1 is packed all the time, 5 is generally empty, they both go close to the same point, Whistlestop I believe. 5 goes a little higher. Really only one way to know...strap it up and get on the mountain.

6. Re: Taos Ski Valley Blue Run Degree of Dificulty, Bottom Line?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Taos
Recent Conversations