We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phinda Lodges: Bugs and Creepy Crawlers, Oh My

Seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Phinda Lodges: Bugs and Creepy Crawlers, Oh My

Hello there -

We're planning a July trip to Phinda, and my wife - who is very averse to bugs in her room - is wondering if this is a problem at the lodges on the reserve, and is wondering if there is a lodge that would have the least bugs. She's not concerned about creepy crawlers (snakes, gekkos, cockroaches, etc.) outside, but doesn't want them scampering across her while she sleeps or living under the bed - it creeps her out.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Many thanks,

Eric

5 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phinda Lodges: Bugs and Creepy Crawlers, Oh My

I have never seen bugs in my room on safaris in the summer and autumn. I might be wrong but aren't there fewer bugs aroubds as well in July (winter). Keep Windows shut at night especially if you have a light on

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phinda Lodges: Bugs and Creepy Crawlers, Oh My

From what I can remember, Phinda Mountain lodge had screens on the doors to keep creepy crawlies out, but this is Africa and it would be impossible to keep everything out, but we never saw any in our room at Phinda.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Nürnberg
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phinda Lodges: Bugs and Creepy Crawlers, Oh My

Hi Eric

First I would like to say that you will have an amazing time in Phinda. It is a wonderful place and offers unbelievable game viewing.

We have just returned from Phinda and have stayed in Forest Lodge. Two years ago I had the pleasure to stay in Mountain Lodge. All the rooms were spotless and we didn't have any bugs. Forest Lodge had screen doors and as far as I remember Mountain as well. If you keep them shut there is a good chance to keep all the creepy crawlies out.

BUT, and I am sorry to say, you will be in the middle of the bush in Africa and nobody can guarantee that there won't be a bug in your room.

Don't worry to much about the bugs, just enjoy the African bush and you will return with some unforgettable memories.

Enjoy and regards from Germany,

Nicole

Africa Direct - Germany

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phinda Lodges: Bugs and Creepy Crawlers, Oh My

You've had some pretty good feedback to your question. Generally, insects are not a problem in the rooms. Cleaning staff are in and out every day, of course - sometimes more than once. You are looking at a winter visit which should be drier and colder. This will slow down the bugs. Strange as this may sound, I don't remember ever seeing a scary-sized bug in a South Africa room in the safari lodges. Botswana, yep. South Africa, no. But maybe the best answer to such a specific question about a specific reserve would be - we don't know.

scotland
Level Contributor
258 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phinda Lodges: Bugs and Creepy Crawlers, Oh My

I thought the same thing before we went on safari - I imagined that there would be more bugs & they would be ENORMOUS, man-eaters. That was not the case - we just spent 5 days at Timbavati (beautiful) in traditional rondavels, open to the elements - if there are huge bugs out there, they have no interest in scaring tourists. We even did a bush walk to view some of the smaller wildlife & still saw very little in the way of bugs - I think you will be pleasantly surprised. But, as someone else said it is wild Africa & difficult to make any guarantees.

Reply to: Phinda Lodges: Bugs and Creepy Crawlers, Oh My
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phinda Private Game...