We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phinda Lodges

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Phinda Lodges

Hi all

I'm considering 6 nights in Phinda during 2014. I love the look of Vlei, for 3 nights but which other lodge would give us a good variation? Is the Forest Lodge in another area from Vlei?

Many thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phinda Lodges

Not really.. This map shows the relative locations of the lodges: andbeyondafrica.com/luxury_safari/south_afri… You can see that Forest and Vlei are quite close. Forest is in... the forest - and Vlei sits just outside the forest at... the vlei.

Rock Lodge is in the same price bracket as Vlei.. also small.. Its lower priced neighbor is Mountain Lodge.

You may already know about the 6-for-4 offer.. it's available this year every month but July and August. Cuts your costs by one-third. Hopefully it will be continued next year.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phinda Lodges

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Yes, I am (hopefully) going for the 6 for 4 offer. Forest Lodge looks lovely but a bit pointless staying in the same area so I will check out Rock and Mountain.

You also gave me some wonderful advice about whale watching at De Kelders instead of Hermanus when we visted SA in 2009. We are planning to repeat that experience in 2014.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phinda Lodges

Glad I could help. Next year, let me know when you might be around De Kelders and we can meet. I'll be there this year mid-April to mid-June and then October and November.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 02:39
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phinda Lodges

I have stayed at all of the Phinda lodges on numerous occasions. My 2 favorites are Forest and Vlei, but yes, unfortunately they are situated in the same regionof the reserve, so it would make sense to combine a stay at Vlei Lodge with either Rock or Mountain, both which are in the South.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phinda Lodges

Hello and Phinda is a lovely destination and I stayed at the mountain lodge which I really enjoyed. They also run activities leaving the park if you want a break from six days of game viewing.

Mark - Owner - safariKZN

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phinda Lodges

Thanks everyone. We stayed in Thornybush and Sabi Sands during our last trip to SA (both were amazing) and now I'm really wanting to see Phinda. We're currently pricing up Sept 2013 to get a rough idea for Sept 2014. I'm hoping our budget will stretch to Vlei and Rock, but I guess I'll have to wait until the 2014 prices are available.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phinda Lodges

Hello and there other places up that way to well worth combining with Phinda. You are also very close to the northern KZN beaches and Indian Ocean.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phinda Lodges

I had been thinking about that Mark. What time of year do the turtles lay their eggs?

Reply to: Phinda Lodges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phinda Private Game...