We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Safari Lodge in March - Advice please!!

England
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Safari Lodge in March - Advice please!!

Hi all!

We're going to Ulusaba in March, and were just wondering if anyone had any advice for us? Should we tip daily, or at the end of the week, and how much? What should we pack? Any suggestions would be gratefully received as this is our first safari holiday.

Thanks, Sarah.

4 replies to this topic
Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Safari Lodge in March - Advice please!!

Pack lighter coloured clothes if possible. Also pack garments that can be layered. It can be hot in the middle of the day and cooler in the early mornings and evenings.

Don't forget a hat and sunscreen.

Bedfordview...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Safari Lodge in March - Advice please!!

Hi

The best is to tip at the end , many lodges have a guideline in the rooms or you can check out the many threads on the forums here regarding tipping. In the case of rangers, trackers and staff you deal directly with it is better to tip them personally and for the "back of house"staff you can leave this with reception.Depending on the lodge sometimes you get a chance to change before dinner, not that smart clothes are required but sometimes it is nice to have a refreshing shower to wash off the dust before dinner.Remember a fleecy or something warm for the mornings and evening drives,with a tshirt underneath, first thing and late at night it can be chilly and there is a wind factor on the game drive vehicle. "Safari clothing"is not required, denims etc work fine.Pack a costume as the temps midday will probably be warm enough for a dip. If you are concerned about the mosquitoes a long sleeved top at night helps protect you, however this is not typically rainy season so risk of malaria is not as high as during peak summer but there will still be bugs.A good pair of shoes or boots are ideal for the drives as you will get off the vehicle and sometimes the ranger may take you for a walk into the bush, boots are good in that they protect your ankles.You can easily get temps of 25c plus at midday the evenings will drop by afew degrees but is not normally cold. This is actually a very pleasant time to be visiting our game reserves.

Hope you enjoy the trip

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Safari Lodge in March - Advice please!!

Clothing should not be bright colours and light shirts and pants are best. A tip for the evenings - you often eat outside in the boma and it is a good idea to wear closed shoes, socks and long pants. My clients always feel happier if they have some mosquito spray and i suggest to spray your feet and trousers as well. They bite right through the clothing, so if you have a thin shirt you will get bitten through the shirt. Peaceful Sleep and Tabard are the 2 products sold here which are suitable to take. Also if you go walking, you may want to take Bayticol for ticks which attach during bush walks. Dont forget binoculars, although your ranger may have on the bush vehicle. Camera with back up batteries and chargers. I suggest tip Ranger and tracker separately at end of stay. Hand to them in envelope if possible with your thanks. Trackers normally get half of what Rangers get. You can work on R50 per person per day as a minimum, more if you feel the service was exceptional. Some Lodges have a tipping box in Reception, here this is shared by groundstaff, cooks etc. and a few hundred Rand would suffice i.e. R300.00. I normally leave R20 on the nightstand each day for the cleaning lady - it works wonders. Some lodges have laundry each day, so no need to take huge amount of clothes, just a jacket for the cooling temps in the evenings. For Dinner, nothing fancy, but most folk put on long pants and a nice shirt. I always take my cap for the wind and sun. For the ladies, remember that you are in an open vehicle, the air is very dry, so lots of moisturising cream for your face and lip ice for lips which get very dry.

Good walking shoes, slops for the pool, but remember you are in the bush, so there are insects, etc.

Get ready for a holiday you will never forget - wishing you a wonderful safari.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

England
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Safari Lodge in March - Advice please!!

Thank you all very much! Most helpful.

Reply to: Going to Safari Lodge in March - Advice please!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ulusaba Private Game...
More Ulusaba Private Game Reserve Topics