We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
96 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

We are driving from Knysna and will be tired with a morning shark dive. Wondering if we should push on to Hermanus. We may stay 2 nights if the shark dive gets put off due to weather. Is Gansbaai just as interesting as Hermanus? We will also be staying in Cape Town for a week.

Thanks,

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

Hi there

It would be great to know when you will be travelling. I would suggest to stay in De Kelders for an overnight. Depending on the time when travelling, maybe between July and November, for whale watching in De Kelders. De Kelders is very close to Gansbaai, about 10mins away and also with very good sunset views. Hermanus is also 30min away from De Kelders for late night out and even dinner.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

As someone who lives part of the year in De Kelders - mentioned above by Hank - I have to admit that Gansbaai is NOT as interesting as Hermanus. But here's the larger question. Where will you be the night before the shark dive? You cannot get to Gansbaai from Knysna by 730AM unless you leave in the pre-dawn darkness.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
96 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

Our Shark Dive is at 10:00 am but we want to stay close. We will be there on the 24th, 25th of this month. De Kelders sounds nice. Are there places to dine there?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

Not many to choose from, but still do-able. There is 1 or 2 good restaurants in Gansbaai, 10mins away that will do for the 2nights while you will be staying there. One that i can mention of the top of my head, Tolbos Bistro, situated in the main road in Gansbaai. If you want to have more choices then Hermanus will do, for about 30mins away. You will also be in for a good treat, because you can see the whales from the shore in De Kelders too.

Regards

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
96 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

bwanadave- actually we are giving ourselves all day to drive from knysna to Gansbaai. Then want to stay the night near the shark dive to be in the area for the next morning.

My question is should we stay in Gansbaai or push through and drive to Hermanus? It sounds like we should stay in De Kelders or Gansbaai. Is there whale watching from the shores of Gansbaai as well or should we stick to Gansbaai? Seems there is really only 2 places to stay in De Kelders.

I found the Roundhouse in Gansbaai and they have a resonable rate there......

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

HI there

I would suggest to stay in De Kelders. Have a look at the next sites for some choices: www.grootbos.com , wwwclifflodge.co.za , www.sleeping-out.co.za , www.sa-venues.com , www.dekelders.co.za , www.whalesonglodge.co.za . That might give you some idea for an overnight in De Kelders. Yes you will see lots of whales from the shores of De Kelders.

Regards

Edited: 05 July 2011, 23:02
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

I too would choose de Kelders, and can recommend Umnenge Lodge - unbelievable service from Richard and Mary and great views from your balcony. They also have a "pub" where you can join them for a drink or help yourselves, as long as you write it down! There are not many eating choices in De Kelders, although Mary will cook for you if you arrange it before. As said before, Gansbaii less than 10 minutes away. Ate a nice but quirky restaurant here called Rosemary and Thyme - run by a very eccentric lady but excellent country - style food

Hank - you must drive quick - more like a good 45 mins to Hermanus from Ganbaii!!!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

Hi there

Yes, thanks for mentioning Umnenge Lodge, i totally forgot about Richard and Mary. Very good friends of mine too. I drive that road on a regular basis and it's more lke sticking to the speed limit and you can make it in a half an hour. If you also have traffic on the road then it can go up to 45min.

Regards

9. Re: Should we stay here or in Hermanus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Gansbaai