We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip by car

Which Gansbaai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
day trip by car

Hi,

I will be staying in De Kelders for a couple of days and was wondering if its possible to drive to the wine region for a day trip? Or is it better to stay there overnight on my way back to Cape Town?

Many thanks.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip by car

Hi

A short drive from de Kelders - about 30 - 40 minutes is the Hemel en Aarde valley. Plenty of wineries to choose from here and maybe do a circle to Bot River to widen even further. There are several good places to stop for lunch too and the Wine Shop at the beginning of the valley is also a worth a look around. Most of the wineries in this area are shut Saturday afternoons and Sundays

www.hermanuswine.com

Lisa

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip by car

Lisa is pointing out that there are many Wine Regions in the Cape. Not just Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. The Hermanus region has some excellent estates. Other regions closer to De Kelders include Elgin (one of my favourites) and the Southern Cape/Elim region (not many estates here). The closest estates to De Kelders are actually on the R326 from Stanford - Raka and Boschrivier. Also the excellent Birkenhead Brewery at Stanford.

However if you want to visit Stellenbosch/Franschhoek/Paarl, which is the centre of Wine Growing and has most of the best estates (and much of the best scenery), then a day trip from De Kelders is not really a good idea. Better to spend a day there on the way to or from Cape Town.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 11:16
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip by car

VDC - you are correct (as usual)!! There are some other great areas to visit outside of Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl. Elgin is probably my favourite area. If you like sauvignon blancs there are some very good examples here. I also loved my day at the Elim wineries last year. We went there from de Kelders - it took around an hour to get there (but we did get lost!) and lots of gravel roads to negotiate. However, probably 4 of the friendliest estates to visit (IMO) and Black Oystercatcher does a very good lunch. I loved the sauvignon blancs from Strandveld (see they have 5 stars this year) and The Berrio. Think I shocked the winemaker when I told him how much I paid for a bottle of their second label sauvignon blanc (Strandveld) in a restaurant in the UK.

It is also a nice walk around the village of Elim, which is an old missionary village. It feels like you are stepping back in time!

However, I still think that a trip up the Hemel en Aarde Valley, with lunch at Creation, would make a great day trip from de Kelders

Lisa

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip by car

Thanks for the advice Lisa, much appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip by car

Thanks again Van de Caab may be a good idea to stay over night as I would be sampleling a few glasses!

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip by car

well looks like I am spoiled for choice as to the wine areas ! Thanks you all for your help.

Cheers

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip by car

Scubbydoo

Most of the wine area / routes have their own websites. This helps you to plan where you want to visit, opening times, maps, restaurants, the wines they sell....You are never too far away from a winery in the Cape!! One visit I managed to fit in around 70 different wineries!!!

Don't forget it is perfectly acceptable to "spit". We usually take it in turns to be the designated driver and then buy a bottle of something we especially enjoy and drink that when we get back to our guest house

Then when you get home you will be scouring for places that sell SA wine - the best stuff is not always the easiest to find and has a considerably higher price tag!!

Sure you will enjoy the tasting, whichever area you decide on

Lisa

8. Re: day trip by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Gansbaai
Recent Conversations