We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark breaching / diving in Aug: Gansbaai or Simon's Town?

Lehi, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Shark breaching / diving in Aug: Gansbaai or Simon's Town?

We will be visiting Hermanus / Gansbaai in mid-August and are looking to make reservations for a Great White Shark trip. Ideally, we would like to combine a breaching and “diving” excursion and have several questions:

• In August, will Gansbaii (Dyer Island) or Simon’s Town (Seal Island in False Bay) provide a better experience?

• I’ve heard weather can be unpredictable in August, is one area more likely to have trips cancelled than the other?

•Which operators offer a combined breaching / diving trip?

We would appreciate insight or experience on any of the questions. Thanks!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark breaching / diving in Aug: Gansbaai or Simon's Town?

The general rule is that Simons Town is better for breaching and Gansbaai for diving so you do need to decide what your priority is. You will have a chance of both in either area because you generally spend some time on the water looking for the sharks either way. I'm not aware of major differences in weather. I can recommend Apex Predators.

Lehi, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark breaching / diving in Aug: Gansbaai or Simon's Town?

No easy answers then :)

I can only imagine how awesome it would be to see a full-on breaching, but assume that not every day--even in peak season--results in a high-flying shark like those seen on National Geo or Shark Week!

If we do stick with a combined trip, it sounds like only Apex Predators and African Shark Eco-Charters (ASEC) offer trips from Simon's Town and only Shark Diving Unlimited and White Shark Diving Company offer trips from Gansbaai. Is this correct? Has anyone gone on the combined trip out of Gansbaai?

MakiGirl--were you able to see sharks breach and from the cage during your trip with Apex Predators?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark breaching / diving in Aug: Gansbaai or Simon's Town?

Hi Blaine

We saw amazing breaching, more than 10 attempts at predation with a few successful hunts and two or three full breaches ( on real seals not the dummy). The conditions were so good for seal hunting that the sharks ignored the chum so we didn't get into the cage but the experience was unbelievable nonetheless. I do think we had an unusually good day though. Note that the definition of good conditions for a shark is different from a human, they like overcast conditions and choppy seas for hunting.

A

4. Re: Shark breaching / diving in Aug: Gansbaai or Simon's Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2015, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Gansbaai
Recent Conversations