We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ivanhoe sea safaris or Dyer island cruises?

Bengaluru, India
6 posts
Save Topic
Ivanhoe sea safaris or Dyer island cruises?

Hello,

I'll be staying over at Hermanus for 1 night in September and would love to go on a whale watching cruise.

Has anyone tried out Ivanhoe and Dyer island for whale watching? I think Ivanhoe takes a smaller group of people so it would offer a more personal experience. However, at the same time, I want to see the great white sharks as well as the whales, which I think Dyer island offers to do. Could someone please recommend which cruise would be better in their opinion?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ivanhoe sea safaris or Dyer island cruises?

We used Dyer Island cruises.

If you go on their Whale viewing tour they take you to area where their shark diving boat ties up and there is a good chance of seeing a shark. Afterwards you go to seal island and we saw a shark kill a seal. Very rate to see but not so good for the seal!

We also saw numberous whales.

Whale viewing was this year far better around Gansbaai, even from the shore, than in Hermanus.

2. Re: Ivanhoe sea safaris or Dyer island cruises?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2015, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Gansbaai