We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chobe and Okavango How to do it?

Perth
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Chobe and Okavango How to do it?

Hi,

I want to do some travelling July 2010 and have 2 weeks. I wanted to go to Botswana - Okavango but was surprised at just how inaccessible and costly it is. I can find any good sites that say how to get around and where some cheap accomodation is. All seem to be tours and i wanted more freedom to do what i want.

Can anyone tell me what is best to do. Okavango or Chobe?

Which is cheaper?

Which is more accessible,

Is camping the only option if i want to spend under $80 per night?

Do i need a 4wd?

Where is best to fly into form JHB?

Do i need to be experienced at using a 4wd if i have to use one?

Is it easy to navigate around the game parks or do you need to go on a tour?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chobe and Okavango How to do it?

Botswana didn't really want to go down the same road as, say Kenya, and encourage mass tourism.

It deliberately discourages cheap otions. The usual way s of getting around are small plane or camping safari.

Chobe is more accessible, you can drive through it easily. 4WD is sensible, given the roads.

You probably need to look at the Botswana Tourism site and contact a local operator. Flights go to Maun fo rteh Delta. Kasane is close to Chobe.

By the way, July 2010 should be extra busy because of teh World Cup in South Africa. You may want to consider Zambia, or even East AFrica, if price is a consideration. Botswana is easily the most expensive option for safari.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chobe and Okavango How to do it?

If you want to do a self drive, it maybe getting late to get campsites reserved, due to the World Cup. But if you get the dates you want, a self drive should include Moremi, Savute and Chobe, with camping in the parks.

This is probably your cheapest option.

A 4x4 is required.

Best to fly into Maun to start a self drive with only 2 weeks on an itinerary.

No. It would be a good idea to take an introductory course or have the rental company give some instruction. Although, you would be surprised at the number of people that have zero experience or instruction and just do it.

Get yourself the Tracks4Africa paper map and a gps loaded with the Tracks4Africa map and off you go. http://tinyurl.com/b9b9yb

If you are still a bit nervous about all this, try joining a guided self drive tour. http://tinyurl.com/ljacb3 Many start in South Africa, but it maybe possible to arrange to join one as it comes into Maun. The cost of most of these is usually inexpensive. You can look for one that is catered or self catered too. They arrange all the reservations for campsites, your biggest concern. Then it would be up to organising flights and a 4x4 (Some do this too), but I would check a few, as rates are all over the board. I recommend Maun Self Drive 4x4.

Owner – luangwablondes

Consultant – Self Drive Africa

Destination Expert – Tracks4Africa

3. Re: Chobe and Okavango How to do it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2010, 06:18