We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long will it take to drive from Savuti to Serowe?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How long will it take to drive from Savuti to Serowe?

In mid- July we will be driving from Savuti to Serowe but I can't work out whether it is reasonable to try and do it in one day.

I understand that the road from Savuti to Maun takes 6 hours if we go that way.

Google maps seems to think the 3 possible routes take about 9-10 hours: one goes through Maun (9hrs 43 minutes in total), and the other two through Nata. Any advice about routes would be great.

We could do it in two days if necessary, but we will have already been to Maun, so is there somewhere worth stopping overnight if we need to?

Thanks.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How long will it take to drive from Savuti to Serowe?

If you went through Maun, you could go to Drifters or see if you can get a booking at Khumaga. There is a ferry across the Boteti River now.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long will it take to drive from Savuti to Serowe?

Hi Dalbist,

Thye route from Savute to Maun is likely to take about 6 hours if you're lucky (give or take an hour or two).

From Maun to Serowe via Rakops and Lethlakane is about 620km, and will take about 7 hours all going well.

From Maun to Serowe via Nata and Francistown is 720km, and will take a good 7-8 hours.

So not much choice amongst the two. However, filling stations occasionally run out of fuel, so I prefer the route with more filling stations (via Nata-Francistown) in my experience. You sometimes need a fuel range of 900-1000kms between stations.

I never stayed at any accommodation along the Lethlakane road (there's a small lodge in Lethlkane, I think).

On the other road, my favourite spot is Planet Baobab at Gweta, and this would be the place I would suggest between Savuti and Serowe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long will it take to drive from Savuti to Serowe?

Thanks for that information. I thought Google was being rather optimistic with their predictions about the time it would take. We'll definitiely do it in two days and Maun -Nata- Francistown is looking good.I can't wait to be there!

4. Re: How long will it take to drive from Savuti to Serowe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 05:53
Get answers to your questions about Chobe National Park