We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Valley Lodge or Chobe Marina Lodge?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant Valley Lodge or Chobe Marina Lodge?

I will be visiting Chobe for the first time in August for 3 nights and I am having difficulty choosing my accommodation. Many places are fully booked so now I need to decide between Elephant Valley Lodge and Chobe Marina Lodge. I like the fact that it seems that we could see lots of wildlife right at Elephant Valley Lodge but it is a little bit more expensive and we would have to stay in tents. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant Valley Lodge or Chobe Marina Lodge?

Any thoughts?

San Diego
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant Valley Lodge or Chobe Marina Lodge?

I have stayed at the Chobe Marina Lodge and loved it. It is a little Disney with a waterfall through the dining room/reception area. However, when we booked it we weren't looking for the safari experience. it is right in Kasane, so if you want an urban safari - you've got it.

Elephant Valley Lodge is supposed to be the better animal (of some kind) experience. Find their website and really check out their 'tents' - they probably won't be as rustic as you think.

Maun
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant Valley Lodge or Chobe Marina Lodge?

They are so very different that it depends what you like - have you seen pictures?

Chobe Marina is right on town but this also means it is on the river, the rooms are nice, the service is slow, it is not personal but everyone is friendly/ Here you have a hotel experience not a lodge experience. So you confirm your activities with their booking desk and are relatively independent for your movements outside of these activity times. you get the tv in the rooms, the air con and the telephone access and so on.

Elephant Valley Lodge is out of town, towards the Zimbabwe border. you don't have a river view but you have a waterhole in front of camp that is frequented by elephants in particular and it is so lovely to watch them (nearly surreal). however, due to the elephants in the area, the camp is surrounded by an electric fence, so I would not say you are in a wildlife area as such (like the camps in the delta/moremi areas) but you are certinaly much more in the bush than in Kasane town!

The accommodation is in tents with simple furnishing and a simple bathroom (shower/toilet/basin, all hot water and flush etc, so proper bathrooms). There is no TV or aircon in the tents - but you don't need it, August is lovely days and cold nights/ mornings - no aircon required.

Both have nice main areas. EVL is smaller so you get more of a 'hosted' experience but it is not that intimate, so you are not group dining necessasrily (unless you meet others you like).

the activities work differently, they run their own activities and they do a morning drive into the boat station and boat cruise, returning late morning and then an afternoon game drive. This is opposite to most hotels in Kasane that do the river cruise in the afternoon which is a busier time.

EVL is not that much more expensive - and the choice is more about which style you would prefer.

Regards

Erica

4. Re: Elephant Valley Lodge or Chobe Marina Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:17