We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duba Plains or Kwara

Bradenton fl
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Duba Plains or Kwara

which would you plan your trip around. I can't have both and there are limited available camps to pair with

If I choose Kwara there is Chobe for 2-3 days-this combination slightly less expensive-At Kwara I heard the lion sightings here were great and the guides will stay out all day on the hunt

if I choose Duba for three days it will be paired with Kwando lagoon which i heard is great for wild dogs but I love cats

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

Tough choice.

Kwara has more diversity than Duba (if you want cats). Duba is all about the lions with very little chance of seeing any other predators (cheetah, leopard, dogs) whereas Kwara has good chance of cheetah and leopard as well as lions, and the dogs are denning there now so you should see them if this trip is for this season (think you said Sept this year?).

However, i think as a pairing I would go with Duba and Lagoon over Kwara and Chobe. Chobe is just so busy, and lacks the off roading of the private concessions. Frankly, if there is availability I would rather stay all the time at Kwara than bother with Chobe. I spent 5 nights at Kwara last year and didn't think it was too long- it's a big concession with some interesting areas further away from the camp that are worth exploring.

Lagoon has denning dogs also, plus you might see cheetah at Lagoon- there are 3 brothers in the area but they move around and cross borders between the Kwando concession and Selinda. I believe Lagoon does also have decent leopard sightings.

Shame you can't do Duba and Kwara, now that would be a great combo!!

Have you looked at Sandibe at all? I am doing a Kwara/Sandibe combination in January and from what I hear, Sandibe has good a good, diverse selection of predators. It's an AndBeyond camp in the Chitabe concession.

Bradenton fl
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

Since my post my travel agent worked miracles and looks like I can have it all-Kwara three nights and then finishing my safari at Duba for three nights. I am starting at Londolozi Founders 4 nights Ulsaba Safari lodge 4 nights.

How lucky am I???

Stokey girl you seem very lucky you get to go to all these camps so frequently. Do you go for pleasure or do you go to check out properties for business?

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

Sadly not for business. I did a trip last Dec (Duma Tau, Tubu Tree and Kwara) and one this April (Duba, Selinda and Tau Pan). Before that I went on a mobile in 2009 with Letaka. However, in 2010 I took a year out from work in 2010 and spent 3 months volunteering in Botswana and got to visit a few camps in that time as well.

I'm also an avid reader of various game viewing reports and Facebook updates from all the camps. Always doing the research for the next trip....

I think Kwara and Duba makes a great mix. Look forward to the report.

Bradenton fl
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

Very cool-I am very intrigued by the wildlife-conservation in Africa and all the wonderful helpful people on these forums. I can't wait to inform

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

Duba plains... you'll still see cats. It's where the lions stand off against the buffalo... Try and get the option of both lodges, you wont regret it :) enjoy

Bradenton fl
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

I did get both-very excited. I had the pleasure of visiting Duba plains-my first camp on my first safari. i saw the lions- 5 lionesses setting up for the kill for at least four drives-it was unsuccessful but still exciting. I thought i would go back and see if it is still my favorite after at least 10 other camps. I will be posting upon my return

Bradenton fl
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

Stokey Girl-I have finally settled into home. Going through all of my photos-Kwara was amazing rustic with all the sightings a safari girl could wish for. I saw at least three male lions a few of them were at night. I even got to see the three cheetah brothers twice. the off roading was incredible- the guides were very knowledgeable and there were no other vehicles out there even from Little kwara-a true wild experience. Duba was great- like you said the variety was not there and there was no action regarding the buffalo and lion interaction. Overall it was a magnificent camp with Antoinette and Pierre from South Africa in charge while i was there. I did get to see the one male lion i wanted to go back to see. Food was great -Pierre is their new chef. Thanks for all your contributions

Virginia
Level Contributor
536 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

Hi Beanie,

Heading for Little Kwara in less than 2 wks. I am so happy to hear you had great off roading and guides which I am so looking forward to. If you can post any pics I'd love to see them!

G.

Bradenton fl
Level Contributor
74 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

I did a review..with a few pics-if you would like to friend me on Facebook i started a small album I will send you my name in a private message. You are going to love it!

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Duba Plains or Kwara

Very pleased to hear you enjoyed the selection.

Even when I was at Duba in April, when the buffalo were around, we still didn't see a kill. We were there for 4 nights but a kill had happened the day before we arrived and then the lions sneaked one in when no one was looking on the last day.

It's still a beautiful concession and a great camp. But the days of guaranteed kills are over I think.

I'll be back at Kwara in Jan- looking forward to it!