We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping at Chobe National Park

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
camping at Chobe National Park

I had been trying to book for camping at the Chobe NP. We have reservations for 2 nights at Ihaha and had been planning to book another 2 nights at Savuti before travelling to Moremi NP. But the rates at Savuti for camping are unbelievable ($ 50 pppn!). Same for all other campsites from S.K.L (North Gate, Kumaga). Personally I see it as a rip off, after all its just camping!. Can anyone suggest some other alternatives? Thanks in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

You may have reservations for Ihaha but that really doesn't mean much. We had made reservations months and months ahead of arrival. Once we arrived we discovered that they had given our campsite away along with many of the other guests. People were wondering around looking for a place to camp. Apparently it's common that they overbook. I suggest you get there very very early in the morning.

I don't see $50 to be that bad actually for a campsite. I found most were all very nice. Plus you get wildlife coming through your camp. That alone is worth $50 in my book.

The other alternative would be to just stay home....

Edited: 28 August 2012, 19:04
Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

Try linyanti campsite. Or make reservations at the tented camp at Savute or one of the lodges. Not cheap options.

Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

How did you find Linyanti campsite?

I have reservations there in late Sept. and was wondering whether to take the riverfront road from Kasane to Ngoma so we could see more game on the way, or the faster road to Nogoma. However, the distance is 180km on sand!!

Do you know if the river front at Linyanti is as busy with game as Chobe river front is advertised to be?

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

The best access to Linyanti campsite is to go to Savute and then take the track directly from there.

Linyanti doesn't have much in the way of game viewing tracks. It is a good place to camp, chill and view the wildlife. It is not anywhere near as busy as the Chobe riverfront.

Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

Thanks for that. Would you take the riverfront road to Ngoma or the fast road away from the river to Ngoma?

How long do you think will the drive take assuming I am going on the faster road to Ngoma and skipping the riverfront road.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

@DanielBMe: Thanks for the suggestions. By the way, its not the first time i am camping in a NP in africa. And I have camping reservations in other parks in Botswana where I am paying more than the normal rates in africa. I also I understand Botswana's low-volume approach tourism. So I dont have any complaints about that. In comparison to other camp operators, the rates from S.K.L are very high. It's my right to know what I am getting back for the money I am paying. There is nothing in their website that tells me that its worth paying 100 USD for camping for 2 persons.

And for your suggestion for staying back at home, come on, first of all it should be clear to you that it was not the alternative that I was asking for and secondly I don't need your advice for that!

Kasama, Japan
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

@crazyme999- you seems to be a person who always jokes, then why this emotions suddenly..chill and enjoy your trip.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 11:46
Kasama, Japan
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

yes, crazyme,ofcourse, It's your right to know what you are getting back for the money you are paying. Its same to everyone....also in every path of life..sorry tat I couldnt help u with any advice for ur wonderful trip...

Edited: 30 August 2012, 12:21
Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

@Kasinath: you are right....could have avoided it....just got irritated by his unnecessary comment......bad timing i guess :(...thanks for the wishes!

Kasama, Japan
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: camping at Chobe National Park

@crazyme - sounds like u have never commented anywhere unnecessarily like him and because of ur comments/jokes nobody must have got irritated in their life ... so congrats and good luck... enjoy..