We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book a trip or wing it???

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Book a trip or wing it???

My husband and myself would like to visit Chobe NP and the Okavango Delta - prices for pre booked safaris are beyond our budget ($2600 each for 5 days - Nov 13). Has anyone travelled from Vic Falls to both destinations on a chance of getting accommodation and flights?

Mentioned in this post
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book a trip or wing it???

November is not peak period, so there should be availability in most Lodges and Camps. The logistics of visiting the Okavango Delta are more difficult, as it often involves a charter flight to the Lodge or Camp - so planning it when you arrive can result in 'time wasting' in Maun - and you are not likely to save much money, if any at all!

Coming all the way from Australia, it would be unfortunate for you not to be able to do the tour you want to - better to have it all confirmed before arrival

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,356 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Book a trip or wing it???

The question also is, what is within your budget? What sort of trip do you want- camping? Lodges?

Botswana is an expensive (but high quality) safari destination. I don't know what you were looking at for $2600, but for 5 nights in all inclusive lodges/camps in November, that's about right. For example, using the Kwando Safaris 5 rivers special would get you 5 nights plus bush flights for around that figure. For lodges/camps, especially those in private concessions, even last minute rates will be close to that when you take into account the cost of the bush flights. So if you're looking to get much lower than that, you're going to have to look at camping.

I doubt there are any huge bargains to be got by booking when you arrive, or rather, any "bargains" will be on very expensive properties reduced to merely expensive.

Also, the Okavango Delta is vast, and includes huge private concessions and national parks. Saying you want to "visit the Okavango Delta" covers a vast number of options, at varying cost levels and varying quality of experience.

Mentioned in this post
3. Re: Book a trip or wing it???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Chobe National Park