We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chobe : Muchenje, Mowana, Chobe Game Lodge or Chilwero ?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Chobe : Muchenje, Mowana, Chobe Game Lodge or Chilwero ?

Hi,

I have the choice for one of these 4 lodges in April, traveling with children (6-10-13) used to the bush. Looking for the best game viewing but also confort and dinner. Mowana being cheaper than the 3 others obviously but I am slightly afraid of the crowd. For now I am undecided between Game Lodge and Chilwero, but still considering the 2 others.

Let me know your opinion

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chobe : Muchenje, Mowana, Chobe Game Lodge or Chilwero ?

I recommend Muchenje because you can completely avoid the crowds. Furthermore, the views from the lodge are stunning. I even saw sable antelope stallions from the lodge. The all day trip is fantastic; you'll be using a combination of land cruiser, and a boat trip. We had lunch only a few feet away from five huge sleeping crocodiles. The game, and birds in Chobe National Park were outstanding.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chobe : Muchenje, Mowana, Chobe Game Lodge or Chilwero ?

Out of the four, my preferences would be Muchenje and Chobe Chilwero, with Muchenje being my first choice. It is located towards the West of the Park near the Ngoma gate, and is therefore apart from the rather 'crowded' Kasane end. The area of the Chobe Park where game viewing is carried out is less crowded than around Kasane.

Muchenje is a small Lodge, accommodating a maximum of 24 people - smaller and more intimate than the other Lodges you mention.

Chobe Chilwero is much more luxurious. including a spa, but although offering superior accommodation and food, it lacks the intimacy of Muchenje

I personally hate Mowana, which is a poorly managed Hotel and golf course, used a lot for Conferences rather than catering to safari enthusiasts.

Chobe Game Lodge is also more like a hotel, but it has the advantage of being the only Lodge amongst your 4 that is located in the Chobe National Park - meaning that for a time, you are alone in the Park, at least before all the Kasane Lodge vehicles arrive.

3. Re: Chobe : Muchenje, Mowana, Chobe Game Lodge or Chilwero ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:21