We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help select an Africa safari please!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help select an Africa safari please!

Travelling to Zambia around mid-June. We're definitely going to Livingstone/Falls.

Where should we go for a safari? We definitely want to see big cats, big herds, giraffes etc. Travelling with our almost-8 year old child.

Chobe? Okavango Delta? Or South Luangwa in Zambia? (We will be staying with family in Lusaka, so that could be a base camp.)

Or just stick to the top places - Masai Mara/Kruger/Serengeti...?

Chetan

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help select an Africa safari please!

How long do you have for the safari?

If you are going to be in both Lusaka and Vic Falls, I would say South Luangwa (fly from Lusaka) or drive from Livingstone/Vic Falls to Chobe or Hwange. You could fly into the delta, too. Depends how much time you have.

One problem might be the age of your child. Many safari camps are unfenced and have minimum ages. In South Luangwa, in many camps this is 12, sometimes 8 or 9. In Botswana, it's often 8. Also, when travelling with children you may be asked to pay extra to take a private vehicle.

These are the options that are most accessible from Lusaka. Flying to another country is going to be costly and time consuming UNLESS your arline route goes that way anyway eg if you fly via Johannesburg (Kruger could be an option) or Nairobi (could go to the Mara).

Another issue to consider is visas. If you are Indian citizans I think you need a visa in advance for Zambia. But you would also need a visa in advance for Botswana or South Africa (and for SA even in transit I believe). So from that perspective staying in Zambia might be easier. Not sure about Zim. I only know this because an Indian poster on another forum who is a regular Botswana visitor complains a lot about the difficulty of getting a visa for Bots.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help select an Africa safari please!

We'll have about 4-6 days for a safari.

Having a hard time zeroing on specific locations at Chobe, Okavango Delta and South Luangwa.

One question and this may sound silly to an old hand but want to get this right: the big cats - lions, leopards and cheetahs - can be easily seen in these parks?

Thanks very much for your quick reply and useful tips.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help select an Africa safari please!

South Luangwa is an excellent place for leopard and lion. It's especially well known for leopard. There are no cheetah in the park.

In Chobe and the delta you'd have a chance of all 3 but cheetah are hard to find, so in only 4-6 days I think you'd be lucky to see cheetah. Some areas are known for having a better chance of cheetah.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help select an Africa safari please!

If you're only going for 4 to 6 days, I should that you should stick to one area. I can promise you that you'll love South Luangwa National Park.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help select an Africa safari please!

We saw lots of animals in Chobe. Not many cats. We saw lots of lions and cheetahs in Botswana. Stayed at Little Kwara. Got pretty close to the prides.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help select an Africa safari please!

we saw lions in Chobe but not common. It's known for its large elephant herds.

7. Re: Help select an Africa safari please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Chobe National Park