We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

speicific questions about Kwando camps

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
938 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
speicific questions about Kwando camps

I've booked ten nights at the three Kwando camps for early January 2012. Now I am in the midst of buying new video camera gear. Unfortunately the company I'm looking at (Panasonic) only sells their extra battery packs for ridiculously high prices (more then 100 € for one extra pack). Since I'd prefer to limit these expenses I'd like to find out about how one can re-charge their batteries at the Kwando camps. I seem to remember that they only switch on their power generators at night - is that correct, not even in the morning? for how long are they switched on? according to their manual panasonic battery packs may need up to 4 1/2 hours to recharge...last but not least: is it possible to re-charge while on games drives, are their vehicles equipped with (standard) cigarette lighters and do the drivers allow guests to use them?

thanks

PS: please do not advsise me to look for battery packs manufactured by other companies - the camera I'm interested in is a rather new model, so unfortunately at this moment only panasonic sells extra packs

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

I can't say for sure about vehicles, but I didn't see anyone doing this and the vehicles don't have many mod cons.

We gave our rechargeable to camp staff, usually after the morning drive, and retrieved it at teatime, before the early evening activities. That seemed to be what others were doing. We stayed at Tau Pan and Kwara if that is relevant.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

Not sure, but I think you are over-estimating how much filming you'll be doing..... :-)

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
938 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

@ peterscot: not really, this isn't the first time I'll be going on a safari, so I know how much I film and I also know how quickly some of these battery packs run out of power ;-)

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

I have not had success in recharging from the vehicle, and I also would not advise it for a number of reasons. I don't fully trust the voltage, and with regular stop-starts I'm concerned about damage to the battery life. Secondly, unless you sit in front or have a long enough cable you have to leave your gear somewhere, and the rides can be bumpy, and sometimes wet (I remember once after one river crossing we had a sizable fish in our vehicle).

At Kwando I would hand my batteries and chargers to the camp staff who put it on charger from breakfast time until lunch time, or even until we depart on our afternoon game drive if necessary. Worked fine for me. You cannot recharge in your tent.

Which three Kwando camps are you going to? There are 6 of them.

Enjoy, and we look forward to your trip report afterwards!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
938 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

thanks, onne, I guess I'll heed your advice regarding the car charge...I'll be staying at Kwara, Laggon and Lebala

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

The power in the office at each camo was on all day at lebala/little kwara and they were quite relaxed about us retrieving our own batteries from the office ourselves. I would advise taking your own power adaptor though so you can be sure you can plug in your charger.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
938 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

sounds good! what kind of plug do they have in botswana - the same as in south africa?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

Some camps have the same as in South Africa (with the 3 round pins) but most camps use the english plug points (rectangular pins).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

I would email Kwando and ask them these questions, so that they are aware of your needs, and in case anything has changed since someone's visit. I've had responses within a few hours from them (although that might be because they are in the same time zone as the UK).

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
938 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: speicific questions about Kwando camps

@ peterscot

I did just that, I didn't realise they had an eMail address but I finally found one for their office in Maun