We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice about cameras for safari in Botswana

California
Level Contributor
21 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
advice about cameras for safari in Botswana

Hi, I'm going to Botswana, Vic Falls, and Capetown this June. I'm planning to buy a "bridge" camera--a 35 mm with a big zoom attached. I'm trying to decide between a Fuji and a Panasonic model; I'm sure both are excellent, but one runs on AA batteries and the other has a rechargeable. I'm thinking the AA might be better for safari because then I don't have to worry about charging batteries, since I understand you have to do it in the office as there is no electricity in the tents at the safari camps. Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

Thanks so much!

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice about cameras for safari in Botswana

We have two cannon super zooms. One with AA batteries and one with a rechargeable battery. I prefer the latter. You'll have to take a lot of AA batteries to last a week or so and I took re-chargeable AA so you still have to charge them...plus they are easier to lose in bag full of clothes in a dimly lit tent.

For comparisons I use www.cameras.co.uk

It does not sell Cameras, but does advertise others that do. It has very indepth reviews, sample pics and detailed shots of the cameras themselves.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: advice about cameras for safari in Botswana

Before I moved on to an SLR, I had a Panasonic (the FZ series) and it was an excellent camera.

What lodges are you going to? I did a trip in December, and the Wilderness safaris camps that I visited had charging facilities in the tents. Kwara did not. However, it's not a big problem to give it to the manager to charge in the office.

I would highly recommend getting at least one spare- you should be able to buy non branded versions of the battery. I've always done this and as long as you don't buy the really cheap versions, I have found they perform as well as the originals.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice about cameras for safari in Botswana

One other thing to consider is that batteries are not very environmentally friendly when disposing of. Just chucking them in the garbage which may find them ending up somewhere in the local environment should be of some concern. Hopefully those taking AA batteries are taking them back home and disposing of them properly.

Definitely will want some type of zoom, preferably up to 300mm or more. For a review of cameras you may want to check out http://www.dpreview.com/.

Edited: 12 March 2012, 13:25
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: advice about cameras for safari in Botswana

We have a gadget for recharging batteries. It stores the charge collected from a small solar panel, plug or vehicle cigarette lighter. Charge it whenever you can and then top up your batteries. No problems this summer. I agree with the above post, it's amazing where you find batteries discarded by people who believe themselves to be environmentally friendly.

5. Re: advice about cameras for safari in Botswana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:40