We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Okavango Delta in January

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Safari Okavango Delta in January

We are planning our second safari, this time in the Okavango delta region .

Does anyone have any feed back about going in January?

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari Okavango Delta in January

A good time to visit. Expect rain - usually short sharp bursts of rain rather than continuous. Also expect very high temperatures. Good game viewing and a spectacular range of birds.

Water levels can be low in January, it will depend on the previous year's flood and what rain there has been in November/December. Low water levels will improve game viewing but may restrict water activities..

Prices will be lower as it is the Green Season

If you can include a trip to the Makgadikgadi the migration should be in full swing.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari Okavango Delta in January

January in Botswana...

The middle of the rainy season with spectacular afternoon thunderstorms. Daytime temperatures are warm, averaging 86°F (30°C) Night time averages 68°F (20°c). This is the peak breeding time for many of the colourful migrant bird species, so bird viewing is excellent. Beautiful wild flowers, brilliant green foliage and constant sounds from insects and birds make the bush vibrant and alive. Game viewing is reasonable with active predators still chasing the fast developing young of their prey species. January is an ideal month for photography due to all the vivid colours, spectacular skies and unparalleled air clarity. The contrast of the predators' natural winter camouflage with the summer colours makes for dramatic photos.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari Okavango Delta in January

Thank you,

Is there any other location for safari that you might be able to recommend during January?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari Okavango Delta in January

If you only got one safari in January in Africa where would you choose and why?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari Okavango Delta in January

We went to Southern Tanzania (Ruaha and Selous) one January. It was amazing. Trip report here:

fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/…

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari Okavango Delta in January

See some comments on this thread about the rain-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g472673-i10231-k…

I would definitely go back to Bots in January.

Another place I've enjoyed is Kenya, as Jan is in a bit of a dip between their short rains and long rains, prices are mid season and it's pretty quiet.

I like Southern Tanzania (Selous and Ruaha) but have only been to Selous in green season (and will be going back next Jan). Would definitely like to try Ruaha in green season at some point. But prices in Selous/Ruaha aren't so bad in high season so there hasn't been quite the incentive for me to go in green season rather than high season (unlike Bots where the price difference is huge). They aren't crowded either, so there's not the "avoiding the crowds" incentive that there is with Kenya.

I probably wouldn't recommend Zambia or Zimbabwe as a lot of camps close down in green season.

South Africa and Northern Tanzania are probably also decent options, but I'm not so familiar with those areas.

Kasane
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari Okavango Delta in January

You've got much of the information you need above. Worth noting also that it is one of the beautiful times of year with all the new baby animals and the fact that the bush is alive again after the dry season. While you may not have the same volumes of animals that you might see in the high season, take advantage of the excellent packages available and enjoy the area.

Best,

Clive

SGS Africa

Chobe.

8. Re: Safari Okavango Delta in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Okavango Delta