We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

Hi, we are finalising our first safari. We have a choice of 2 nights Kanana followed by 3 nights Machaba. Alternatively it could be 3 nights Kanana and 2 nights Machaba. Can we solicit views as to which option might be best.

We would also like views on wether to stay at Lebala or Ghoha Hills camp.

Thanks.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

I've only been to Kanana and Lebala out of those options. I know Machaba is in the Khwai area, and I think Ghoha Hills is in Savute area of Chobe. I've been to both those areas. With Kanana/Machaba, I think you'll find Kanana offers more water focussed activities, whereas the Khwai area will be more game drives. Personally I'd split with the 2 at Kanana, but that will depend on your preference for water/land activities. What time of year is this?

Out of Lebala/Ghoha Hills, I would stay at Lebala. It's in a private concession, so you will have lower vehicle numbers, ability to drive off road and do night drives. Lebala is an amazing area for wild dogs, especially at denning time (June-Aug).

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

Thanks SG. Got a bit pressured to make choices before I got your post. We opted for 3 nights Kanana as we thought there would be mostly land based activities at the later stays. Although we had heard nothing but good things about Machaba.. Still we are doing very well to get to them both.

We also opted for Ghoha over Lebala so that's two strike outs. We had been told the wild dogs had been denning in both areas and my wife liked the look of Choha Hills . Still I am very optimistic that we will have a wonderful time regardless. We will be there from mid July and have organised this whole thing in the last week . We did our quick research in Melbourne ,Australia and had Patricia of Wildlight Safaris do the amazing last minute bookings so you can see how there was a time pressure to make decisions.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

Never mind. Please do come back and report, I'd be interested to hear about Machaba and Ghoha Hills.

Yes, if the trip is this year I have definitely heard the dogs are denning in Lebala (possibly more than one pack). Just you won't be able to follow them hunting off road in Savute, or get near the den, unless it's right by the road which is unlikely. One of the most exciting game drives I've ever had was following wild dogs hunting from their den at Lagoon. That was mid July.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

Thx SG.

Yes we will post a report when we finish the safari. We intend to spend a

couple of days at Ilala Lodge at Vic Falls and then do a road trip from Port Elizabeth down the coast to Cape Town. Then 10 days in Seychelles before heading back to Australia and eventually back to home in New Zealand. Somewhere along the way we will get a report out .

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

I stayed at Lebala in 2011 and loved it, even without seeing wild dogs. I did however see plenty of other wildlife including roan and sable antelope which are very rarely seen, and a female leopard and it's cub climb a tree. I'll never forget when after coming back from an early morning game drive, the entire staff came out to warn us not to cross the bridge over the creek because there was a black mamba snake under it, an elderly Dutch human geneticist very foolishly approached it to take a photo only to be stopped by the staff. It was one of the most unforgettable moments I've ever had on my 5 safaris.

Personally, I prefer the Kwando camps because of their Botswanan management unlike their competitors. I find them warner, and that they interact much more easily with their staff.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

I also must say that I agree with Stokeygirl that chasing wild dogs while their hunting or harassing another animal is one of the most enjoyable experiences that anyone can ever have while on safari. It will leave an unforgettable experience.

One should also take into consideration that you see elephants, hippos, lions, leopards, etc. in many places; there are very few places where one is guaranteed to see wild dogs. They are one animal which everyone inevitably falls in love with due to their beauty, how they carry themselves, watching them hunt, and how they behave in a pack,

Edited: 02 July 2014, 19:29
Botswana
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

Ghoha Hills:)

You have the panoramic views as well as the wildlife:)

8. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 22:05
South Africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

You will have a superb safari! I have been to all those camps before. I also would have opted for 2 nights Kanana and then 3 nights Machaba, but over 5 nights at both those camps you will have a wonderful experience. As regards Ghoha Hills, it is a beautiful camp. It is located further from the Marsh than some of the other camps, so I would plan your activities well. On one of the days, take advantage of the full day trip into the Marsh with a picnic lunch. And then on the other activities do some drives on their own private concession. They have a wonderful hide overlooking a huge waterhole and you could perhaps spend an afternoon there enjoying the sights. The drives around the Hills are also excellent with huge boababs everywhere and other wildlife like kudu and buffalo. Enjoy!

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
24 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanana or Machaba camp. And Lebala or Goha Hills camp.

You'll love Ilala Lodge in Vic Falls, its my favourite hotel here. Do have dinner in the Palm Restaurant at Ilala great food, at a reasonable price and then pop over to the Victoria Falls hotel and try the Jungle Junction on your second night. Great sushi, eat as much as you like and also an excellent tribal dancing display. Its safe to walk between the hotels, only possible danger would be bumping into an Elephant, but the road is well lit at night!