We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help requested for April visit

USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Help requested for April visit

I'm looking at including the Okavango Delta to my potential trip to South Africa and Victoria Falls in mid - April of 2015. My research of mid - priced water- based camps have landed me at Gunn's Camp and Moremi Crossing. Are there good options for a first-timer? Which is better? What are other options to consider (budget of US $450 pppn)?

Also is Chobe at this time worth visiting? Other than Okavango, we'll also be visiting Kruger.

Thanks.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help requested for April visit

There are a number of excellent lodges situated quite close to each other, along the main channels of the Boro River,

All the four Lodge concentrates on water activities, mokoro excursions and walking safaris/trails

Moremi Cossing is a newish camp.with16 tents, and reasonably priced.

Gunns' Camp is more traditional safari Camp with just 12 beds, and excellent personal Guiding

Both Gunn's and Moremi Crossing are owned by the same company, and use the same airstrip which can made the area rather 'crowded'

Upstream, there is Delta Camp, a truly wonderful place, with chalets in tree houses. Detla Camp offers a unique opportunity to combine with the environment without interfering. Excellently managed, with superb food and outstanding personal Guides.

The Oddballs' Camp comprises two camps - on (Oddballs Enclave) with comfortable, en suite chalet, and with a dining area and boma.

Oddballs' is a more rustic camp, providing basic 2x2m domed tents with rudimentary toilet/shower However, Oddballs' does operate 4 / night mokoro excersions - camping at will, accompanied by your own private Guide, amongst the islands of the Okavango.

Each of these Camps offer the same game viewing, water activities.

Delta Camp and Gunn's the most 'traditional and intimate safari experience. Moremi Crossing and Oddball's Enclave a more rustic experience - and Oddballs' - something unique in a Mokoro Trail if you have the time

The Chobe is great in April

Edited: 26 August 2014, 15:11
USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help requested for April visit

Thank you so much, Safarichild. This really helps.

Solana Beach, San...
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help requested for April visit

For reassurance, I echo everything Safarichild said. All her suggestions and yorus are spot on and April is great. Delta Camp is wonderful too. Delta Camp was the first Okavango camp I ever visited nearly 20 yrs ago.

Have fun.

John Spence - Owner - Aardvark Safaris, California

USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help requested for April visit

Thank you John.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help requested for April visit

In your opinion when is the best time to visit Okavango?

Solana Beach, San...
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help requested for April visit

OK I have no idea where you have or have not been before in Africa.

To cover myself I am going to assume this is your first safari. Therefore it will be important that use see lots of wildlife but also get a feel for this area as a wetland. The dry seasons run from June to October / November. In theory the dryer / hotter months means the animals will concentrate closer to permanent water and lush vegetation more animals. Any of these months would be good but to avoid coolest or hottest months I would say mid July to late September will be perfect for many reasons. This link might be helpful aardvarksafaris.com/botswana/…20travel

I have also traveled and arranged trip at other month and clients and myself have been really happy too. It is just important to give people the facts as everybody has an opinion especially on a forum!

Hope this helps

John Spence - Owner - Aardvark Safaris, California

Edited: 12 September 2014, 23:33
7. Re: Help requested for April visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2015, 05:15