We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Mountain - travel time to NYC

Panama
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Mountain - travel time to NYC

Hi

I'm traveling to NY from abroad on Feb '13 and planning to spend a day on the bear mountain area. My flight leaves the next morning at 11:30 from JFK and was wondering how early shall I left from Bear Mountain to be safe. I would like to avoid driving while dark and sunrise is at about 7:00 am. Google maps says 1hr 30m with traffic, but is it realistic during Feb?

Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Mountain - travel time to NYC

you are gonna hit rush hour traffic if you go thru the city (GW Bridge)

if you go thru westchester you may have less traffic but i'd leave at least two hours

the alternate route would be the saw mill to the cross county to the hutchinson

over the RFK whitestone bridge to the Van Wyck

Panama
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Mountain - travel time to NYC

Thanks dave that's great advice... I will plan to leave 2 hrs before.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Mountain - travel time to NYC

The RFK (formerly "Triboro") Bridge is NOT the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge. There are not near each other, but taking the Hutch to the Whitestone is a good way to get there. If your plane leaves at 11:30 and you need to be there by 9:00, you need to drop off your rental car by 8:40. I'd leave around 6;30 AM to get there.

Also note that you need to listen to traffic reports on the way, in case something is really messed up. Alternatives to the Whitestone Bridge are the RFK Bridge via the Bronx River Parkway and Bruckner Expressway, or from 87; also the Throgges Neck Bridge was built as basically a duplicate of the Whitestone Bridge only a couple of miles to the east.

Did you really say you are arriving from another country on one day and returning the next? That's what you implied, but it doesn't sound right to me.

If someone is driving you, it may be better to avoid the Van Wyck (which can get pretty crowded) and have them let you off at the Jamaica AirTrain station.

One final thought: JFK is a large airport but it has a train that runs to all the terminals and rental car places. So if you somehow wind up at the wrong terminal (if someone winds up parking or dropping you off in a different part), it's a 5 minute trip to the right terminal. With 9 terminals and police directing people all over the place, you may have to be dropped off at some different terminal (you never know).

Edited: 20 December 2012, 18:51
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Mountain - travel time to NYC

Even though sunrise is at 6:53 AM on Feb. 13, it's pretty clear daylight about 15 minutes earlier. Also, by the time you get anywhere crowded it will be completely daylight.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear Mountain - travel time to NYC

whoops you are right i meant the bronx whitestone

Reply to: Bear Mountain - travel time to NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bear Mountain
More Bear Mountain Topics