We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away from Boathouse B&B,Bolton Landing.

Which Bolton Landing hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Stay away from Boathouse B&B,Bolton Landing.

Hurricane Irene hits the day we are to arrive to celebrate our anniversary. Calls from our local legislators called a "state of emergency" and ordered us to stay indoors and not to drive. Impossible to get to the B&B that day. Joe & Patty, innkeepers were in Florida and had no idea of the actual situation as Bolton Landing and Lake George was virtually a ghost town with no power. We told them of our situation and Joe basically said "Too bad". You booked the room, we're open, if you don't come, you lose the night and the money you paid for it". We asked him to be fair, told him we would be risking our lives if we drove, the calls from our local legislators. He didn't care at all. We set off the next day amid floods and downed trees on the highways. Unbeknownst so us, we had received an email from him that day stating “Do not come to the B&B, we have no power”, We found this email on the way up on our Ipad and we called and the answering service stated: "DO NOT COME", WE ARE NOT OPEN". Joe and Patti via phone (when they deplaned from Florida) told us to "Go somewhere for 2 hours" until they got to the B&B to see what was going on. We were 10 mins away, where were we to go with no power anywhere? Joe said "The first thing you gotta do is get rid of your dog and into the kennel" (verbatim) yet we spent 3 days watching their two dogs run all over the property and listening to them bark and yap. We could not leave our dog at our usual boarder at home as there was no power, so we all drove up together. Renee, the manager told us they had to close on Sunday as they had no power and people went home. It was becoming overly stressful, and we didn't even know if we had a room yet. We arrived and the power went off as we stood in the dining room. It was a shaky situation. We tried to talk to Joe and Patty, both were adamant that we would not be credited for the hurricane day, nor given another day gratis or add a day on to the end of our stay. We called other hotels and they did give refunds and credits. Power was off for a week in some areas. These two individuals/innkeepers are interested in revenue, not hospitality or doing the ethical and right thing when running a business, a B&B that is supposed to accomodate people especially during a state of emergency! We were aghast as most people are when we tell the story. He explained how "hurt" they would be financially if they returned our money yet out of the same mouth came boastful conversations about his three other homes, his boats and what a wonderful life they lead. 

Our room was adequate however the ear plugs that are left on the night stands are absolutely necessary due to the constant noise of traffic passing on the road to the Sagamore and people walking by after a night out on the town in Bolton Landing. Their barking dogs that lived below us and ran all over the property barking and unleashed did not lend to a pleasant environment. Not everyone appreciates dogs running about when you are trying to relax. It was very very noisy and very very early in the morning and late at night with traffic, people and their dogs. Our floor was wet and a towels were placed in strategic areas. Patty is an ice queen and very unfriendly, just tries to play the part and Joe has no part to play, he just is an arrogant, selfish, unethical man. I have never written a review like this, but they are very deserving of it. 

The food was horrifyingly unhealthy - freeze dried B&B food either overly sugared or overly salted. We made the best of our trip, had fun anyway but would not recommend this place ever to anyone. I think Lola, my pup had better accommodations and service at The Pooch Palace. . Go to The Sagamore which is exquisite, first class real hotel with amazing views and where they make you feel welcome and the service is immaculate or Erlowest where we dined and saw every exquisite room, which puts this B&B to shame.

11 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Stay away from Boathouse B&B,Bolton Landing.

I have taken this up with American Express to attempt to get a refund for the day of Hurricane Irene. Although they cannot "make them" pay me, they can try and understand what happened. I had not sent in any documentation and the sent in their cancellation policy. I have various emails between the 2 of us, a recording my my govt, a report from CNN stating everyone should stay indoors and that President Obama was calling this a hurricane of historic proportions. Who in their right mind would not see this? The owners stated in response to my review that "for whatever reason they decided not to come, we were open for business". Unbelievable. Every person from Amex who spoke with Joe said he was a "piece of work" and "this guy can't be for real", horrible, arrogant, obnoxious". Joe told Amex " sure he would travel in a hurricane" and that "it was very romantic eating by candlelight". No one was there, so I don't know who was eating by candlelight. Everyone went home and the town was empty when we arrived the following day and they still were not sure they were open for business. This man is a liar and as my husband has said "As my husband Don has said and all the people we speak to about it: Legally he may be on high ground but morally and ethically he has sunk into the depths of human decency." And in my experience it always happens: What goes around comes around. I'm done here and only wish justice would be served. It's not about the money, it is totally the principle. I'm aghast that one person can do this to another. Lie, cheat and lie more.

Reply to: Stay away from Boathouse B&B,Bolton Landing.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bolton Landing