We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedrini Lodge

mineola n.y.
12 posts
Save Topic
Cedrini Lodge

This is unbelievable finding people discussing cedrini lodge after all these years. I would go there as a child with my grand mother and brother. We began going there in the mid 60's till the mid 70's and it was the greatest place in the world back then. I remember alot of the family's that would be there at the same time, and the staff was great. Jimmy the acordion player, eddie, celeste, suzie and peter. My brother richard worked in the kitchen a few summers also. By the way my name is Anthony,I was a hand full,(terror) lmao.. Madeline was always yelling at me. Joe was a prince and what a chef. I remember the two joan's who were cousins and francis,janet s. there was a couple who's name was telmo and joan, I think their last name was bozzi great people that I would love to get in touch with. I have tried to find them but may have the last name spelled wrong. If any one could help it would be wonderful. it would be wild to speak with any of the friends from cedrini's. I even got in touch with the owners presently and tried to see if they had any of the old records of names but not to helpful. I even tried to see if the old place is for sale but once again not to rational as far as making a sale. As you all know it's condition is sad, what a sin from what we all enjoyed, most of it has been knocked down, other then the main house, dining room and rec room all is gone. I was just there in july, can't seem to forget all the memories. I have a vision on saving what remains but unfortunatly not at this time. Well it's been wonderful reading all your memories about Cedrini's, I guess we all feel the same. Regards to all. If any one would like to drop a line my e mail is a.merli@hotmail.com

59 replies to this topic
Piscataway, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedrini Lodge

Hi there!! In the 70's, I grew up going every year to Cedrini's (as we called it) and loved it!! The other day, I heard the song Listen to What the Man Said by Wings. It brought me right back to the backseat of my parents brown Gran Torino station wagon in the middle of the night, on the 4 hour drive to Cedrini's. I can still feel the anticipation of going there, and the happiness of being there. Life was so great then. I loved the swings and the bocci. I will never forget hopping up on the bar stool and getting a Shirley Temple. Madelyn would give me an extra cherry or two (and we- me an my 2 younger brothers were terrors too!). We danced the Alley Cat on the shiny wood floor, I played the heck out of the pinball machine, and I remember the bowling machine too! Oh my- it's all coming back.. And the food was second to none.. I miss it. I'm going to Lake George this year and hope I might be able to drive by the old place on the way up, but some of me wonders if it's best to just remember it the way it was....

I don't know the names you mentioned, but I was only 8 and younger at that time. I can ask my parents- last name Cella, and used to go up with the Carraro's.

mineola n.y.
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedrini Lodge

Hey, it's great hearing from one of the cedrini family. I don't remember you by your last name, what is your name and your brothers names, that may help. It could be that we were there different weeks maybe. If you want to take a look at the old place go on google earth and put in 3458 route 20 cornwallville n.y. 12418 and you can view it from what I think was about 5 years ago.I know it was on stonebridge rd but they also call it route 20 don't know why. You will be able to soften the blow before you go there in person. I don't think the rec room will last another winter and the main house looks like the vandals are breaking windows and kickin in doors on a weekly basis. You mentioned the bowling machine, I remember playing it with what I think was corn meal on it so the puck would slide better. How bout the juke box and pool table, and the deer head above the bar. Do you remember the small dock and row boat by the lake, I spent alot of time hunting frogs from the boat with my bb gun, today they would probably put me in jail for 10 years doing that.lmao. They also had 3 beagles and a grey dog named bullet. Well if you do stop by cedrinis on your trip get ready for heart break, its nothing from what it was. It's wild that back then most families would go to the catskills during the summer for vacation and know thats gone, now we get on planes and boats. Looking foward to hearing back from you or any one else that would like to chat. Regards Anthony

mineola n.y.
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedrini Lodge

Hello again, just took another trip up to cedrini's to see how it's holding up and it's not doing well. It appears the large awning in front of rec room has callapsed and the roof on the kitchen has also rotted out and is callapsing in, must be taking on alot of water with rain and snow. Well the animals will have a great place to live now. I was just speaking with my brother and asked him if he had any pictures of the cedrini's in it's hay day and it's hard to believe that we have absolutly none, don't understand we never brought a camera up there? If anyone does and would be genorous enough to share them by posting them I would love to see the grounds back then, like the annex, motel, pool, bocci ball court, swings, shuffle board, inside of rec room, any pics would be great. How about this I think it was fri or sat night in the rec room Joe would bring out either pizza or hot dogs late at night, anyone remember that? Does anyone remember when cedrini's would play softball next to the motel against the other lodge" Shapanack". Well as you can tell I have tremendous memories of Cedrini's and my childhood and is'nt that what made us who we are today...Regards Anthony!!!!!

GREENWOOD VILLAGE
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedrini Lodge

Joe Cedrini used to cook for Nelson Rockerfeller. I have great family/summer memories of that place!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedrini Lodge

Have you gotten this on facebook yet? I know people who have had wonderful experiences with camps that got them on facebook and are now sharing stories and photos.

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedrini Lodge

After doing some reminiscing about Cedrini Lodge and researching it on Google, info from this site and using Google maps satellite view (I found the lake right by Three Corners!), my wife and I took a ride up.

I was not prepared for what we found. The frozen in time abandonment of the place (tables still set in the dining room!) kinda freaked me out a little. And seeing forty foot tall trees coming out of the ground where the pool used to be, well, made me feel a little old. And the lake looked more like a pond to me now...

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cedrini Lodge

After doing some reminiscing about Cedrini Lodge and researching it on Google, info from this site and using Google maps satellite view (I found the lake right by Three Corners!), my wife and I took a ride up.

I was not prepared for what we found. The frozen in time abandonment of the place (tables still set in the dining room!) kinda freaked me out a little. And seeing forty foot tall trees coming out of the ground where the pool used to be, well, made me feel a little old. And the lake looked more like a pond to me now...

sparta, nj
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cedrini Lodge

My last name is zampino and we went every year for a week. I remeber when they built the new area, the volleyball net, the bell that rang to come and eat. Wild blueberry picking and pokeno, it was so much fun and one year my aunts and uncles came. I also remember the old green iron chairs and celeste bullet yes the grey dog and madeline and joe. good to hear everyone has good memories of cedrini, wish I had photos....image no internet omg

New York City
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cedrini Lodge

It was unbelievable to me running across these posts about Cedrini Lodge...Joe and Madeline were my aunt and uncle. My family and I moved upstate in 1951 to run Cedrini Lodge with Joe and Madeline; but we sold our share to Uncle Joe and moved to an even more remote town in the Catskills. My father, Mathew, Joe's brother (always known as Nello) worked there many summers as a waiter, and my mother Mary, and sisters Pat and Andrea also worked there. I never did, but Cedrini Lodge was a huge part of our childhood. We spent every holiday with Joe and Madeline; Joe's cooking forever spoiled me - no matter what Italian restaurant I ate at (here in NYC or abroad) inevitably I would compare something to what Joe used to prepare. I thought all pasta was handmade and I never had a pasta e fagoli like his ( he never shared his recipe, unfortunately). I haven't been upstate in many years, and I was sorry to hear that everything had fallen into such disrepair. When we moved into Cedrini Lodge, it was a wonderful old Victorian house, that over the years underwent many changes until it became the resort that most of the people posting here remember; I remember when they made the "lake", put in the pool, the rec hall, the annexe ( it was a farm building), and the concrete parking lot in front. We walked up into the hills many times, and there was an atmospheric cemetery at the top of one of the hills that Aunt Madeline used to walk us up to. Early in my teaching career, while talking to the mother of one of my students, she told me that she and her family went to the Catskills every summer...and where did they go??? Cedrini Lodge!!! Thanks for sharing your memories. I hope other people find these posts and share what they remember.

mineola n.y.
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cedrini Lodge

Hey Linda it is great to hear from another person that was fortunate enough to have visited Cedrini's. We may have been there the same weeks, you remember bullet so we were there the same years. My name is Anthony and would go up there with my brother Richard and grandmother Maria, my brother even worked in the kitchen for two summers I believe 1969 and 1971. The painted metal chairs and also I think there were a few adirondack wooden ones, how funny is that, Joe obviously did alot of painting during the off season. I have to ask my brother what weeks we would go every year. I try to go up there for day trips and look around at what is left, if you look at the shuffle board you can see some of the numbers and the pool filled with dirt. If you look through the window into the rec room the bar is there and the old cigarette machine is there omg what a time capsule. Well Linda it's a pleasure to chat with you and keep posting I'm sure you have more, we may even know each other.. would'nt that be funny..Now I must say hello to clmv who is Joe and Madeline's nephew. Once again it's great to hear from you and the wonderful info you posted, we have a true insider know.haha. I remember your dad Nello thats amazing. My brother told me about the lake being biult he must have got that from Joe. I even remember swimming in the lake before the pool was biult.I did not know that Joe had a partner, but I must say that they had a vision and what a vision it was.[brilliant] My brother tells me a story that he and Joe were speaking about family and that he and Madeline did not have children but I have the biggest family. How true is that,I will never forget that statement. As you know from reading all my posts I have a special spot in my heart for Cedrini;s and have attempted to buy it from the present owner but no progress yet, it's been about 10 months since I have spoken to them, I think it's time to take another swing at it. I would love just to save what remains it's a diamond in the rough. My friends tell me just find another place in the catskills but I know I won't be satisfied. I will let you know how I make out with my attempt. Keep posting your memories it's wonderful reading. Goodbye to all Anthony!!!!!!

Reply to: Cedrini Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Catskill