We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October in Catskills

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
October in Catskills

I'm taking all suggestions for a slow trip from Toronto to NYC. I've been to Hudson and Olana, Sagamore and Storm King. We like nature and art. I use a cane , walking is good, hiking not so much. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October in Catskills

My recommendation is ALWAYS Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz. There is hiking, but you do have the option of walking the grounds as well. Its beautiful there. Very pricey, but worth every penny. 3 gourmet meals are included in the price. Visit the spa if you can.

Mentioned in this post
New Paltz
New Paltz
New York
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October in Catskills

Dia Beacon is a well regarded art museum in Beacon (east side of the Hudson so not really Catskills).

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October in Catskills

This isn't Catskills either, but would recommend the Hyde Park/Rhinebeck area. You can walk around the grounds at the Vanderbilt Mansion, FDR's house/library, Eleanor Roosevelt's house, and Mills Mansion; as well as take the tours if you are interested (it's free to walk around the grounds). There are also orchards/farms in this area if you are interested in that (fun to do in the fall). Farmers markets too on the weekends in various towns.

On the other side of the river, Minnewaska is a nice spot (and a lot cheaper than Mohonk!). There are some easy strolls there and it's a pretty spot, especially in fall.

In the Catskills, a visit to Ashokan Reservoir is nice. After 9/11 they closed one of the main roads across the reservoir and it's open to pedestrian traffic. It's a nice walk.

As previously mentioned, Beacon might be a nice stop for you. In addition to DIA, there are nice stores, galleries,and cafes on Main Street.

I would also check calendars as there are often festivals this time of year. The Sheep and Wool festival at the fairgrounds near Rhinebeck is in October and a lot of fun. Rhinebeck is a nice stop anyway and there are some easy walks in that area (Poet's Walk, the mansions near Hyde Park).

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
New York
Rhinebeck
Rhinebeck
New York
4. Re: October in Catskills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Catskill