We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions from veterans of dreams park

nj
Level Contributor
101 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
questions from veterans of dreams park

I'm very appreciative of all the info I'm getting on this site. My son's team will be going at the end of July. I have a few additional questions to those posted (we just came from a meeting at the coach's house).

1. Does the laundry service also include washing non-uniform clothing such as regular t-shirts and shorts?

2. For the individual skills tournament at the very beginning of the week, does every child from every team participate or is one child chosen from each team? I wasn't quite sure on how that works.

3. If you opt to have your child bring a cell phone and charger, is there a place to plug it in while they are sleeping? I assume it should be locked up while they are not in the bunk house?

4. Any specific items to bring and definitely not forget to bring that aren't really listed on the sheet provided by the park?

5. Will they get the uniform jerseys/socks after they get there (if so, then I would be sending him w/the laundry marker, correct?).

6. Any and all additional insite and advice is very much appreciated!

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions from veterans of dreams park

1. Laundry service - Can't remember! But make sure everything (including non-uniform stuff) is marked. Makes it easier to organize and re-claim.

2. One child per event except for Around the Horn. You should designate these children and PRACTICE these skills well before you get to the Dreams Park!!!

3. There are plugs. Can't remember how many. Each child will have a foot locker. You supply the lock (combination locks are recommended so kids won't have to worry about a key). Make sure the lock has a longer handle, it's hard to close the lock w/ regular sized lock.

4. Playing cards and other things to pass away the time while they're in the village. My son says to bring a whiffle ball/bat - there's a big grassy area for the teams to play at. Bring an undershirt for your jersey. They jerseys are itchy so make sure you have something underneath. Also, if your child has a preference for socks, bring those. My son says the socks they give you are pretty uncomfortable. Socks (2 different pairs) are solid red and solid navy blue.

5. Correct - we brought laundry markers to the dorms when we were allowed in on Saturday morning. For those that didn't bring their own socks, they marked them right then and there. Also mark your hat. Otherwise, mark your pants, belts ahead of time. Also, bring a black marker and another color that will show up on the dark socks.

6. If you are going to pin trade, make sure you have some way of keeping track of them. We bought a pin bag at the gift shop there. Also, don't trade away all of your pins on the first day. You'll have all week to do this.

If you have more questions, ask away!

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions from veterans of dreams park

Back to question 1) Laundry service DOES include personal clothing and towels. Well worth every penny. Can't stress enough to make sure everything is marked. Your team stuff comes back in laundry bags. Everything must then be sorted and handed back to individuals.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions from veterans of dreams park

what is the indivual skills tournament?

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions from veterans of dreams park

The Skills Competition is played immediately after Opening Ceremonies. With the exception of "Around the Horn," the skills are done by one player per event from your team. All the teams participate and compete against each other.

"Around the Horn" is played by 8 or 9 players. This one is too hard to describe! In a nutshell, the players throw the ball in a designated pattern. It is a timed event. Just like the Opening Ceremonies, teams starting w/ "A" will play first (ABC order).

"Roadrunner" - fastest runner from your team runs the bases. Timed event.

"King of Swat" - best hitter from your team. Who can hit the most home runs wins.

"Golden Arm" - best arm from your team. I believe it's who can throw the furthest and most accurately.

We practiced Around the Horn a lot. Since the kids have to throw in a certain pattern, it was good for them to be familiar with it. (Ex. 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st, etc.) Your coach should know what the rules are. No accounting for game-day jitters w/ this one. It's over very quickly...or not (which would'nt be a good thing). You'll know what I mean when you see it.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions from veterans of dreams park

how long does this all last- i think i read it starts at 6 and there are 96 teams- sounds like we'll eb tehre until midnight- please inform-

6. Re: questions from veterans of dreams park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Cooperstown