We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in/near Cooperstown

Which Cooperstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
745 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay in/near Cooperstown

Hello all -

Okay here is the deal. I'm going to a baseball game in Little Falls the night of Saturday, June 23rd. Then i want to drive south towards Cooperstown, stay somewhere, visit the Hall of Fame all day Sunday and then go to a game in Oneonta and head out east towards Albany. So what i need help with is: a place to stay on Saturday night, the 23rd, on the way down from Little Falls that is somewhat close to Cooperstown and most importantly cheap. Dont need anything fancy because we will get in late and check out early. Just need something to sleep in. Doesnt have to be right in Cooperstown either... if there is something cheap on the way down south from Little Falls that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

G Man

Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in/near Cooperstown

Google the Cooperstown chamber they should be able to help you.

Cooperstown
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in/near Cooperstown

Richfield Springs might be a good place to try - I know they have at least one motel.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in/near Cooperstown

Cooperstown gets extremely busy now. We just returned and heard all over they have 900 youngsters there weekly from about now on through the summer in addition to the extended families who accompany them. So while most of the activity will be out at Dreams Park, accommodations will still be busy too. And other people come for the natural beauty. We love Lake Otsego but a stay on the lake, even in a motel, is probably more than you want for just a place to sleep. (We went just before the 'season' started and prices were a third of the summer usual.) If you make the trip annually, plan two or three nights and spend some time fishing on the lake.

So have your motel already booked.

P.S. You should pick up some goodies at Schneider's Bakery in Cooperstown for your trip. Unusual for today, their cookies don't just look good, they taste fabulous. 157 Main, corner of Main and Lake. Get a photo of the famous hanging baskets on one of the famous street lightposts though the antique mullions on the store window.

The Hall of Fame is great. Surprisingly for some in our group, the Cooper Museum and Farmer's Museum were unusually extremely well recieved. The Cooper, an art gallery, is wonderful for history lovers, mountain lovers, historic battle lovers, art lovers, and those who appreciate Remington, Indians, Cowboys. Their Remington collection is there through the summer. You can grab lunch on the terrace for the most amazing view over the wide lawn of the Lake. And this is no small lake. If you have an interest in Native American history, check out the Bark House down by the Lake. I had no idea it could be so fascinating. You can get "Two Way" and "Three Way" tickets for the 2 or 3 main museums, giving you a discount rate.

Along with your interest in minor league ball (Oneonta?) you might also be interested in the new Scranton PA team, a AAA team for the Yankees...their first year in Scranton. Great big stadium but the first tier is already sold out. The second tier is at a sharp angle in case you don't like heights. But a low seat on the second tier...or talking to the Guest Services at the entrance about whether one of the sold out but empty seats might be available might help.

Troy, just beyond Albany, also has a minor league team...A, I believe.

Oneonta's is short season, right? We love the smaller parks and single As can be even more fun. The AAA's have it more together by then and everything goes smoothly, no fights, etc. and sometimes not much action:) They still have the games and competitions and songs and sound effects though. I gess you know there are people who travel the country during the summer going to minor league games and write books about their experiences.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in/near Cooperstown

PS need an Albany accommodations recommendation?

5. Re: Place to stay in/near Cooperstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 19:21