We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
32 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
parking

I've read that parking is very hard and the best option is to ride the trolley I just read that the trolley wasn't operating. What are a couple of options for parking?

Does it mean you can't park 5 blocks away and walk ?

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking

Hi - I grew up in Cooperstown. Parking is a challenge in the summer months, but not impossible. You can definitely get a spot if you are willing to walk a few (5-8) blocks. I know the trolley runs during the summer months - never heard of it not running unless you are going before Memorial Day weekend, in which case it's probably not quite full-on tourist season yet. If you are visiting before June parking will not be tough at all.

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
32 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking

Thanks we are visiting at the beginning of August. What are some of the streets to look at parking on?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,485 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking

I often park at the opposite end of the street that the HOF is on (coming into town on Rt .28 north, a right takes you to the HOF; take a left instead). You could also park near the Otesaga (stay on Rt. 28 north past the turn off - you won't miss the inn; its right at the foot of the lake). Both these options will require a bit of walking, the latter more than the former.

Albany NY
Level Contributor
477 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking

Just found out that we will be there on May 25 for the Hall of Fame game. If we would take the trolley, are there lots to park in slightly out of town? The information on Cooperstown's site is for last year.

We also have tickets to Night at the Museum, so I don't want to park somewhere (like the Farmer's Museum) that will be closed if we decide to stay for the later event.

Thanks!

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking

I'm pretty sure last year's info will be close to or maybe even exactly the same as this year's. Things for the tourist seasons don't change by much - they've been doing it for so many years they have it down. I would call the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce/Visitor's Center (google it) and ask. Hall of Fame game weekend and induction weekend are big events so they likely have special parking arrangements in place that they don't normally have otherwise. When I grew up there they didn't have the trolleys yet - my guess is they probably have some key pick up points in some areas that have a parking "lot" (but honestly there aren't many parking "lots" in Cooperstown - very small town.

Apex
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking

Be very careful parking in Cooperstown! Right downtown there are spots that appear to be free (no meter or sign in front of it) but the paid parking signs further down the street apply to ALL parking on that street. Basically, NO parking is free there and if you think you got lucky and found one, don't be surprised by the $35 ticket you will come back to even 10 minutes later.

oswego,ny
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking

does anyone know the lots they use? we are going to a concert at Doubleday field and have been told there will be no parking at doubleday. the amount of people coming in will be CRAZY and 5 shuttles wont even put a dent in getting people around- not to mention the lack of accomodations etc...

we want to do some of the fun stuff but totally worried about the whole parking thing. also i heard that the residents can charge you an arm and a leg to park in there yard (yuck)

8. Re: parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Cooperstown